Calculating the Limit of a Complex Expression

In summary: Did you have a question? In summary, the author attempted to solve the limit of a given function using l'Hopital's rule. However, they encountered a weird function and questioned if there was another way to solve it. The expert suggested a trick to simplify the function and advised to set aside factors with nonzero finite limits. The author then presented their solution using l'Hopital's rule and verified its correctness.
blob84

Homework Statement

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{(1+tan(3x))^{1/3} x^2}{log_2(arcsin(x^3)+1)}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried to use l'hopital twice but i get a very weird function, so there another way to calculate it?

Physics news on Phys.org
blob84 said:

Homework Statement

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{(1+tan(3x))^{1/3} x^2}{log_2(arcsin(x^3)+1)}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried to use l'hopital twice but i get a very weird function, so there another way to calculate it?

I'd be interested to see these weird functions. l'Hopital is the best way to do it. There is a trick that might help you. lim x->0 (1+tan(3x))^(1/3)=1. That's pretty harmless. I wouldn't include it in the l'Hopital treatment. In general if a factor of your function has a nonzero finite limit, just set it aside and concentrate on the rest.

thank you Dick,
i get:
[tex]Dx^2= 2x[/tex],
[tex]D log_{2}(arcsin(x^3)+1)=\frac{3x^2}{log2(arcsin(x^3)+1)\sqrt{1-x^6}}[/tex],
[tex]\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{2x}{\frac{3x^2}{log{2} (arcsin(x^3)+1) \sqrt{1-x^6} } } =
\frac{2}{3}\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{log{2} (arcsin(x^3)+1) \sqrt{1-x^6}} {x} →
\frac{2}{3}\lim_{x \to 0^-} \frac{log{2} (arcsin(x^3)+1) \sqrt{1-x^6}} {x}= \frac{log2}{0^-} = -\infty \vee
\frac{2}{3}\lim_{x \to 0^+} \frac{log{2} (arcsin(x^3)+1) \sqrt{1-x^6}} {x} = \frac{log2}{0^+}=+\infty
[/tex]

blob84 said:
thank you Dick,
i get:
[tex]Dx^2= 2x[/tex],
[tex]D log_{2}(arcsin(x^3)+1)=\frac{3x^2}{log2(arcsin(x^3)+1)\sqrt{1-x^6}}[/tex],
[tex]\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{2x}{\frac{3x^2}{log{2} (arcsin(x^3)+1) \sqrt{1-x^6} } } =
\frac{2}{3}\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{log{2} (arcsin(x^3)+1) \sqrt{1-x^6}} {x} →
\frac{2}{3}\lim_{x \to 0^-} \frac{log{2} (arcsin(x^3)+1) \sqrt{1-x^6}} {x}= \frac{log2}{0^-} = -\infty \vee
\frac{2}{3}\lim_{x \to 0^+} \frac{log{2} (arcsin(x^3)+1) \sqrt{1-x^6}} {x} = \frac{log2}{0^+}=+\infty
[/tex]

Looks ok to me!

1. What is the purpose of calculating the limit of a complex expression?

The purpose of calculating the limit of a complex expression is to determine the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a specific value. This can help in understanding the behavior of a function and making predictions about its output.

2. How do you calculate the limit of a complex expression?

To calculate the limit of a complex expression, you can use various techniques such as algebraic manipulation, substitution, and the use of limit laws. It is important to also consider the domain of the function and any possible discontinuities.

3. Can the limit of a complex expression always be calculated?

No, the limit of a complex expression may not always be able to be calculated. Some functions may have undefined or infinite limits, or may require advanced techniques such as L'Hospital's rule to evaluate the limit.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when calculating the limit of a complex expression?

Some common mistakes to avoid when calculating the limit of a complex expression include forgetting to check for possible discontinuities, using incorrect algebraic steps, and not considering the behavior of the function near the point of interest.

5. How can calculating the limit of a complex expression be useful in real-life applications?

Calculating the limit of a complex expression can be useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where functions are used to model real-life situations. Knowing the behavior of a function and its limits can help in making decisions and predictions in these fields.