1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate line integral across square curve with vertices (1,1) (-1,1) (-1,-1) (1,-1)

1. Dec 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    First off, sorry this isn't symbolized correctly. I've wrestled with this for a half hour, so here it is in crude type:

Calculate [tex]\int[/tex]c F*n ds for F(x,y)=xi+yj across the square curve C with vertices (1,1), (-1,1), (-1,-1), and (1,-1).

2. Relevant equations

above

3. The attempt at a solution

I've found that this can be rewritten as [tex]\int[/tex]ab F(r(t))*r'(t)) dt

I know my limits are from -1 to 1. I am having trouble parameterizing x and y. I have come up with x=t, but I don't know what y could be... y=[tex]^{+}_{-}[/tex]t?

If someone wouldn't mind explaining this problem, and how they'd attack it, I sure would appreciate the help. Thanks in advance. A step by step solution would help most, but I'll take what I can get :)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Calculate line integral across square curve with vertices (1,1) (-1,1) (-1,-1) (1

Because the path is not "smooth", break it into smooth parts. That is, do the lines from
    (1) (1,1) to (-1,1)
    (2) (-1,1) to (-1,-1)
    (3) (-1,-1) to (1,-1)
    (4) (1,-1) to (1,10)
    separately.

For example, the line from (1,1) to (-1,1) is simply "y= 1" with x going from 1 to -1.
    You could just use x itself as parameter with x going from 1 to -1. Since y= 1, dy= 0.
    If you don't like integrating from 1 down to -1, you could let x= -t so that dx= -dt and you are integrating with respect to t from -1 to 1.
    Or you could take x= -2t+ 1 so that dx= -2dt and integrate with respect to t from 0 to 1. The crucial point is that at every point on this line y= 1 so dy= 0.

Do the same kind of thing for the other three lines.

4. Dec 8, 2009 #3
    Re: Calculate line integral across square curve with vertices (1,1) (-1,1) (-1,-1) (1

Thanks for your response.

Okay, that makes more sense. So, to get my final answer I should be adding the results of the 4 line integrals, right?

So far, for the line segment from (1,1) to (-1,1) I'm getting:

x=t y=1

r(t)=ti+j
    r'(t)=i+0
    F(r(t))=ti+j

So, [tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{-1}_{1}[/tex]<ti,j>dot<i,0> = [tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{-1}_{1}[/tex]t dt = t[tex]^{2}[/tex]/2 |[tex]^{-1}_{1}[/tex] = 0

How am I doing here? Everything look okay?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook