Calculate Load Resistance [SOLVED]

In summary, to calculate the load resistance, you need to use the equation PL= ((V^2)*(RL))/((RL+r)^2), multiply through by the denominator, expand the bracket, and then multiply through by PL. Group like terms and then use the quadratic formula, using the supply voltage.
Kobayashi
[SOLVED] Calculate Load Resistance

Homework Statement

Find RL if PL is 90W.

Homework Equations

PL= ((V^2)*(RL))/((RL+r)^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the internal resistance to be 5 Ohms on my circuit with a supply voltage of 100V

So, 90W = ((100^2) * (RL))/((RL + 5)^2)

From this equation how do I rearrage the formula to get the Load Resistance?

Physics news on Phys.org
Expand the square in the denominator, cross multiply it to the left side. Collect the linear terms (linear in RL) onto the left side, so the right is zero. This is now a standard quadratic equation, apply the quadratic formula to solve.

So,

R^2 + 2Rr + r^2 + 90 - (V^2*R)

Becomes,

R^2 + 10R + 115 - 10000R =0

R^2 + 9990R + 115 = 0

From this I still can't get the correct answer when using the quadratic formula. Is it the load voltage or the supply voltage you use in this case? The two answers should be 100.75 Ohms and 0.25 Ohms. Any idea where I'm going wrong?

You are messing up the algebra.

Starting with your first equation:

[tex]P_L= \frac{V^2R_L}{(R_L+r)^2}[/tex]

You need to multiply through by the denominator so you get

[tex]P_L(R_L+r)^2 = V^2R_L[/tex]

Now expand the bracket, and then multiply through by [tex]P_L[/tex]. Group like terms and then use the quadratic formula.

Use the supply voltage.

Thanks, I now managed to get the correct answer.

1. What is load resistance and why is it important in calculations?

Load resistance refers to the amount of resistance an electrical circuit or system experiences when a load, such as a light bulb or motor, is connected to it. It is an important factor in calculations because it helps determine the amount of current that will flow through the circuit and how much power will be dissipated by the load.

2. How do you calculate load resistance in a circuit?

To calculate load resistance in a circuit, you need to know the voltage across the load and the current flowing through it. Once you have these values, you can use Ohm's law (R = V/I) to calculate the resistance. Alternatively, you can use a multimeter to directly measure the resistance of the load.

3. What is the difference between load resistance and total resistance in a circuit?

Load resistance refers specifically to the resistance of the load connected to the circuit, while total resistance refers to the overall resistance of the entire circuit. Total resistance takes into account the resistance of all components in the circuit, including the load resistance.

4. How does load resistance affect the performance of a circuit?

The load resistance can greatly affect the performance of a circuit. If the load resistance is too high, it can limit the amount of current flowing through the circuit, resulting in a dim light or slow motor. Conversely, if the load resistance is too low, it can cause excessive current flow and potentially damage the circuit components.

5. Can load resistance be changed in a circuit?

Yes, the load resistance in a circuit can be changed by altering the load itself or by adding or removing components in the circuit. For example, in a light bulb circuit, you can change the brightness of the bulb by adding or removing resistors in parallel with the bulb. Additionally, the load resistance can change over time due to factors such as temperature and wear and tear on the components.