1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate Magnetic field of wire two cavities

1. Nov 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A long cylindrical conductor of radius a has two cylindrical cavities of diameter a through its entire length, as shown in cross-section in the figure below. A current I is directed out of the computer screen and is uniform through a cross section of the conductor.

(a) Provide an equation that describes the magnitude of the magnetic field in terms of µ0, I, r, and a at point P1.
    2. Relevant equations

Biot-Savart Law

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to calculate the magnetic field due to a solid wire at point P1. Then I calculate the magnetic field due to the top cavity at point P1 and the magnetic field of the bottom cavity at point P1. Am I on the right track?

The current density of the solid wire is J = I/A. The area A is equal (πa^2). So, the current is equal to J(πa^2). Thus the magnetic field due to the solid wire using equation B = μI/(2πr) is B = μJ(πa^2)/(2πr). Next we calculate the magnetic field due to top cavity, the distance from center of cavity to point P is r - a/2. The area of hole is (∏a^2)/4. So, J = 4I/(∏a^2). The magnetic field cavity, B1, is equal to μJ((∏a^2)/4)/(2π(r-a/2)). Now, we calculate B2, the magnetic field of cavity bottom. The distance is r + a/2, and area is same, so magnetic field is μJ((∏a^2)/4)/(2π(r+a/2)).

Then, we calculate the magnetic field of wire of two cavities. The magnetic field is B - B1 - B2. After simplifying, we obtain -μJ(a^3)(a+2)/(16(r^3-r(a^4)/4). Then the current density, is equal to I/A and the area of wire of two cavities is ∏(a^2)/2. So substituting J with (2I/(∏a^2), we obtain μI a(a+2)/(8∏r(r^2 - (a^2)/4).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted