Calculate Molarity of Cl- in Solution

• Thread starter nautica
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molarity
And, Nautica, I am sorry for intervening in your thread.Cheers, math-user4In summary, a Cl solution was treated with a Cr3+ solution to convert to hexachlorochromateIII. The excess Cr3+ was then titrated with en according to the equation Cr + 3en --> Cr(en)3. However, Cr(Cl)6 does not react with en. To calculate the molarity of Cl in the original solution, the molarity of Cr3+ and the amount of unreacted Cr3+ must be determined. The final answer is 0.022 M of Cl-.
nautica
A Cl solution with a volume of 13.53 mL was treated with 30.0 mL of Cr3+ solution (containing excess Cr3+) to convert to hexachlorochromateIII:

6Cl- + Cr ----- Cr(Cl)6

The excess Cr3+ was then tirated with 11.85 mL of 0.01280 M (en) according to equation:

Cr + 3en ------------- Cr(en)3

Cr(Cl)6 does not react with en. If 41.35 ML of en were required to react with 20.17 mL of the original Cr3+ solution, calculate the molarity of Cl in the 13.53 mL Chloride sample.

THIS IS WHAT I DID

0.04135 L * 0.01280 M / 3 moles / 0.02017 L * 0.03 L * 6 mol Cl / 0.01353 L with an answer of 0.1164 M Cl- in solution

my problem is - no where did I include the 11.85 mL of the en that was calculated. Do I need to or does this look correct?

Thanks
Nautica

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You can find Cl- molarity by equating no: moles.
You can find molarity of Cr3+ by:
41.35 ML of en were required to react with 20.17 mL of the original Cr3+ solution

Then you can find no moles of Cr3+ excess in reaction b/w Cl- by:

The excess Cr3+ was then tirated with 11.85 mL of 0.01280 M (en)

Therefore you can find no moles of Cr3+ required to react with CL- and thus no moles of Cl- by:
13.53 mL was treated with 30.0 mL of Cr3+ solution

The dividing by volume you get Molarity.

Central idea is that there is excess Cr3+.
Sorry for long post
regards

That sounds better. Let me try it and I will post my results.

Thanks
Nautica

I am still doing something wrong

0.04135 L * .01280 M / 3 moles * .02017 L * .01185 L / .03 L * .0135 L * 6 moles

gives me 1.14 x 10 ^-7 then I divided that by the 13.35 mL to get 8.4 x 10^-6 M of Cl- but that does not sound right.

thanks

I will try to do it in steps so that we can find out mistakes if any easily. :biggrin:
molarity of cr3+=41.35 *0.01280 /3*(20.17) -->(A)
(note:both V are in mL so conversion factor cancels out)
Total no moles in Cr3+soln = (A)*30.0 /1000 -->(B)
No: moles unreacted=11.85 *0.01280 /3 -->(C)
Therefore total no moles unreacted=(B)-(C)
Therefore total no moles of CL- == [(B)-(C)]*6
Molarity of Cl- = [(B)-(C)]*6/.01353
Too lazy to do numericals now :zzz: .Try this. :smile: :biggrin: :wink:

That answer looks better. I am getting 0.022 M of Cl-

I will not contribute to the answering effort, as poolwin2001 did it quite well. I wondered some other thing:

nautica said:
Cr(Cl)6 does not react with en.

It is interesting, since ethylenediamine is a chelator, strong enough to make hexachlorochromate(III) ion to convert [Cr(en)3]3+, at least this is what I thought when I read this thread.

The theoretical reaction should be like this:

[itex][CrCl_6]^{3-}~+~3~en \rightarrow [Cr(en)_3]^{3+}~+~6~Cl^-[/itex]

I have some suggestions though. It is possible that ethylenediamine does not react readily with the labile chromium complex, so a rapid treatment would only chelate the uncomplexed chromium.

Is there anyone to clear this?

1. What is molarity?

Molarity is a unit of concentration that measures the number of moles of a solute dissolved in a liter of solution. It is typically represented by the symbol "M" and expressed in units of moles per liter (mol/L).

2. How do you calculate molarity?

To calculate molarity, you divide the number of moles of solute by the volume of the solution in liters. The formula is: Molarity = moles of solute / volume of solution (in liters).

3. What is the formula for calculating molarity of Cl- in solution?

The formula for calculating molarity of Cl- in solution is the same as the general molarity formula. It is: Molarity of Cl- = moles of Cl- / volume of solution (in liters).

4. Can you convert between molarity and other units of concentration?

Yes, it is possible to convert between molarity and other units of concentration, such as molality or percent concentration. However, the conversion factors may vary depending on the specific units being used.

5. How do you determine the volume of solution for calculating molarity?

The volume of solution used in the molarity calculation is the total volume of the solution, including both the solvent and the solute. This can be measured using a graduated cylinder or volumetric flask.