Calculate osmolality of a 0.1% and a 0.9% NaCl.?

• Thread starter Wek
  • Start date
In summary: In general, the conversation was about trying to calculate the osmolality (mOsm/kg) of a 0.1% and a 0.9% NaCl solution. The person first calculated the NaCl grams in a liter of solution and then divided it by the molecular weight to get moles. They then divided the moles by 1 liter to get the molality and multiplied it by the dissociation constant of NaCl. Finally, they divided it by 1000 to get the mOsm. Their final answer was 0.308008214 mOsm/kg and they asked for someone to double check their math.
Wek
I tried to calculate the osmolality (mOsm/kg) of a 0.1% and a 0.9% NaCl solution but I am not sure I'm doing this right.

First I calculated the NaCl grams in a liter of solution, so for 0.1% I have 0.01g of NaCl. Then I divided by the 58.44 (MW) to get moles. Then I divided the moles by 1 liter (since the osmolality is per 1 kg of solution) to get the molality. Then I multiplied the molality by the dissociation constant of NaCl (1.8). Then I divided by 1000 to get mOsm.

The final answer I got is 0.308008214 mOsm/kg. Can someone double check my math?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Wek said:
First I calculated the NaCl grams in a liter of solution, so for 0.1% I have 0.01g of NaCl.

No, 0.01g is wrong.

In general your approach looks OK to me, with one exception. Where did you get the 1.8 for a "dissociation constant" from?

The 1.8 dissociation constant was given.

How much would the the NaCl grams of a 0.1% solution be then?
The way I calculated the NaCl grams was by reasoning that if 1% = 1g/100ml then in 1000ml there would be 10g (10g/1000ml = 1%). So for a 1 liter of 0.1% NaCl solution there would be 10g*(0.1/100) = 0.01g.

Last edited:
Wek said:
if 1% = 1g/100ml then in 1000ml there would be 10g (10g/1000ml = 1%).

Correct, but

So for a 1 liter of 0.1% NaCl solution there would be 10g*(0.1/100) = 0.01g.

this is wrong and I can't even understand what you did.

Try to directly apply percentage definition:

[tex]\frac{\text{mass of NaCl}}{\text{mass of 1L of solution}} 100\% = 0.1\%[/tex]

Hm. If I use that formula I would need to use 0.001g of NaCl per 1kg of water to get a 0.1% solution.

(0.001g/1kg)*(100) = 0.1%

So to make 1 liter of 0.1% NaCl I need 0.001g of NaCl?

Wek said:
(0.001g/1kg)*(100) = 0.1%

You divide grams per kilograms and you think it is OK?

Using your approach if you have 1 cent and I have 1 dollar we have both the same amount of money, as 1=1. You have to watch your units, always.

What is the formula for calculating osmolality?

The formula for calculating osmolality is: Osmolality = (Number of particles in solution) x (Molarity of solution) x (1.86).

What are the units for osmolality?

Osmolality is measured in units of milliosmoles per kilogram (mOsm/kg).

How do I calculate the number of particles in a solution?

To calculate the number of particles in a solution, you need to know the concentration of the solute (in moles/L) and the total volume of the solution (in liters). Then, you can use the formula: Number of particles = (Concentration in moles/L) x (Avogadro's number) x (Total volume in liters).

What is the osmolality of a 0.1% NaCl solution?

The osmolality of a 0.1% NaCl solution can be calculated by first converting the percentage to molarity (0.1% = 0.001 molarity) and then plugging in the values into the formula: Osmolality = (Number of particles) x (Molarity) x (1.86). The number of particles in this case would be 2 (since NaCl dissociates into 2 ions) and the resulting osmolality would be 3.72 mOsm/kg.

What is the osmolality of a 0.9% NaCl solution?

The osmolality of a 0.9% NaCl solution can be calculated in the same way as the 0.1% solution, with the only difference being the molarity (0.9% = 0.009 molarity). Therefore, the osmolality of a 0.9% NaCl solution would be 16.92 mOsm/kg.