How to calculate percentages on a TI-89 for a normal probability distribution?

• Thread starter sublime
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses using a TI-89 calculator to calculate percentages of the normal model. The speaker is unsure of the function and finds using the table in their book to be inconvenient. They also mention a specific example of calculating the percentage of data above 92 in a normal probability distribution. There is also a note about not having certain programs on their calculator. Another person suggests numerically evaluating the integral of the normal distribution.
sublime
I have a ti-89, does anyone know how to calculate percentages of teh normal model on it? I am not sure what the function is, and using the table in the back of my book is a pain. The problem's I mean are, for example-
given N(80,5) what percentage of the data is above 92 given the information fits a normal probabilty distribution. note i don't have the 89 titanium so i may not have certain programs. Thank you

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't see a function for that immediately. You can always just ask it to numerically evaluate the integral of the normal distribution from whatever value you want to some high value like 100.

Calculating percentages on a TI-89 for a normal probability distribution is a straightforward process. First, you will need to access the "DISTR" menu by pressing the "2nd" button followed by the "VARS" button. This will bring up a list of different distributions, including the normal distribution (which is denoted as "normalcdf").

To calculate the percentage of data above 92 in a normal distribution with a mean of 80 and standard deviation of 5, you can use the following steps:

1. Enter the values for the mean and standard deviation into the calculator by typing "80" followed by the "2nd" button and then the "comma" button (which represents the decimal point), and then "5".

2. Next, type in the upper limit of the range you want to calculate the percentage for, which in this case is 92. So you would type "92" followed by the "comma" button.

3. Now, type in a very large number for the lower limit, such as "9999" followed by the "comma" button.

4. Finally, press the "ENTER" button to calculate the percentage. The answer should be displayed as a decimal, so if you want to convert it to a percentage, simply multiply it by 100.

In this example, the percentage of data above 92 in a normal distribution with a mean of 80 and standard deviation of 5 is approximately 6.68%. You can also use this method to calculate percentages for other ranges or values in a normal distribution. I hope this helps!

1. How do you calculate percentages?

To calculate a percentage, divide the part by the whole and then multiply the result by 100. For example, if you want to find 25% of 80, you would divide 25 by 100 (0.25) and multiply it by 80, giving you a result of 20.

2. What is the formula for calculating percentages?

The formula for calculating percentages is: (part/whole) * 100. This formula will give you the percentage of the whole that the part represents.

3. How do you find the percentage increase or decrease between two numbers?

To find the percentage increase or decrease between two numbers, subtract the original number from the new number. Then divide that result by the original number and multiply by 100. If the result is positive, it is an increase. If the result is negative, it is a decrease.

4. Can percentages be greater than 100%?

Yes, percentages can be greater than 100%. This means that the part is larger than the whole. For example, if you have 150 out of 100 items, the percentage would be 150%.

5. How can percentages be used in real life?

Percentages are used in many aspects of daily life, such as calculating sales tax, tips, discounts, and interest rates. They are also used in statistics to represent data in a more meaningful way. Additionally, percentages are commonly used in business and finance to track profits and losses.