1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate pipe thickness

1. Mar 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 1.2m diamater steel pipe carries oil of relative density 0.822 under a head of 70m of oil. What minimum thickness of 120MPa (yield stress) steel would be required for a safety factor of 1.5?

2. Relevant equations
    Head = pressure/rho.g
    thickness = (safety factor.Pressure.radius.)/Tensile Strength

3. The attempt at a solution
    Okay so I worked out pressure by Pressure = head x density x gravity = 563892 Pa
    Then I worked out the thickness by (1.5 x 562492 x 0.6)/120,000,000 = 0.0042 m = 4.2mm

Seems a bit too small to me, could someone please tell me if this is plausible or if not where I have gone wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2013 #2
    Hey just a brainwave am I maybe supposed to use the diamater or circumference? Gives a more plausible seeming result

4. Mar 25, 2013 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What formula are you using to calculate the stress in the pipe wall?

5. Mar 25, 2013 #4
    I didn't think that I needed to from the research I've done. The only formula I could find for minimum thickness is the one I posted above. Am I missing something?

6. Mar 25, 2013 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the formula says radius, you use the radius.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted