Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate PKA velocity

1. Feb 13, 2015 #1
    Hi,
    I've been trying to understand a simulation for a collision cascade. The PhD that produced this code says that he is modelling a 10keV collision in Fe. From this he says that his PKA velocity is 2620.579 ang/ps or 262057.9 m/s and I'm wondering how did he get this?
    I've assumed that the collision would transfer a maximum energy and I've assumed that it is an Fe-Fe collision since I don't know any other way of getting close to his value if I tried a Fe-n collision. So if anyone could help me figure this out please that would be really useful.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

10 keV and 262km/s lead to A=28, something like silicon. Iron at that energy would be slower.

What is your primary particle that collides with the material?

4. Feb 14, 2015 #3
    [QUOdoesn't say b, post: 5008341, member: 405866"]10 keV and 262km/s lead to A=28, something like silicon. Iron at that energy would be slower.

What is your primary particle that collides with the material?[/QUOTE]
    It doesnt say what incident particle it is although I would assume a neutron. Although it could be an iron particle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook