Calculating Power Requirements for Blending Granular Materials in a Machine

• Thread starter wermix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, this machine is a shredder, not a blender. It will be like a homogenizer, except it will be filled with trash instead of materials to be blended. This machine has a capacity of 40 cubic decimeters, which means that the material can be processed within a set period of time (i.e. - 40 dm3/hour).
wermix
Hello pleas i need help how to calculate needed power(of engine) for blending granual material in machine.
Machine looks like on pic below
thank you

Attachments

• Výstřižek.PNG
    Výstřižek.PNG
    16.5 KB · Views: 491
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

For us to be of any help, we will need lots more information. How big is this machine? What exactly is the material being blended? How much material at a time is put into the machine? Do other similar machines exist, and if so, what size electric motor do they use?

Likes Asymptotic and russ_watters
it have to have capacity about 600-700dm3... the material will be trash of electric components so it is hard to tell :) density is probably about 500kg/m3 at one time we put in machine about 300kg :) we have same machine but for blending coal ash and it have capacity about 40dm3 and engine power is 0.18kw

Attachments

• Výstřižek1.PNG
    Výstřižek1.PNG
    44.1 KB · Views: 402
wermix said:
the material will be trash of electric components
So this is a shredder, not a blender?

nono :) it will be like homogenizator :)

wermix said:
nono :) it will be like homogenizator :)
wermix said:
the material will be trash of electric components
Those two statements make no sense in juxtaposition, IMO. What the heck are you trying to make? o0)

i need to make mashine what will make sample of trash to know what type of pieces i have in :biggrin:

so i need to blend trash :O to homogenize it :) and the take it out that is why i want to use paddles :)

wermix said:
capacity about 40dm3 and engine power is 0.18kw
1. Does this capacity of 40dm3 mean 40 cubic decimeters?
2. Is this the amount of material than fits into the mixing/processing chamber? Or is this the volume of material that can be processed within a set period of time (i.e. - 40 dm3/hour)?

yea cubic decimeters :) and it is in one time :)so mixing all material

so i need to mixing all 300kg in one mixing process :)

wermix said:
material will be trash of electric components
More detail, please. As you may imagine, it takes considerably more power to chew through a scrapped 10 HP induction motor than it does to process a batch of circuit boards.

Likes russ_watters and wermix
it is brash of electric components ... it can contain everything :) but size of components is about 50x50x50mm :) as i told density of material is about 500kg/m^3

i know it is bad situation :/

wermix said:
i need to make mashine what will make sample of trash to know what type of pieces i have in
wermix said:
so i need to blend trash :O to homogenize it :) and the take it out that is why i want to use paddles :)
If you mash up electronics circuit boards, you will destroy the components. Is that you want? Also, some components release chemicals when smashed up (like electrolytic capacitors), and those chemicals can cause other problems. What is your end goal with this "blender"?

:DD ok it is just blender :) it is filled with trash after milling :) so i don't care about types of components :) i just need to blend mass of electric components trash (like rubber, elektric circuits, metal fragments) this trash have pieces of size about 50mm :)

wermix said:
i just need to blend mass of electric components trash (like rubber, elektric circuits, metal fragments)
For what purpose? Usually you would want to separate things for recycling, not "blend" them all up.

to make homogenized sample :)

this device have split filled matterial to sample and trash :) and every piece of filled material have to have same chance to be in sample (sorry for bad neglish) O:)

Sigh. That makes no sense. Are you an artist or something? I see no practical use for this process.

ok i need to take 60kg sample of this 300kg :) ok ? :)

rest is trash :)

The problem with you not being very descriptive of the application is that it makes it harder for us to try to help you with suggestions and ideas. For example, the mixer you have shown will do a lot of damage to the pieces that it is mixing with its blade arrangement. And as I said, that can also release some chemicals from the mix that really should not be released.

If all you want to do is mix up some stuff to make the mix more homogeneous, then look at alternative mixing technologies that are gentler on the materials, but still do a good job of mixing things together. Consider renting something like a standard cement mixer or similar apparatus instead of using a mechanism with blades...

https://www.zoro.com/marshalltown-c...MI-seEgb-K2wIV1TaBCh05_wAMEAQYAyABEgKG6vD_BwE

Z_w4rvocpEx_.jpg

Attachments

• Z_w4rvocpEx_.jpg
    Z_w4rvocpEx_.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 437
Likes Asymptotic
ok :) it is mashine for blending electric trash (300kg) i need to take of this mashine just 50kg for sample and rest for nothing :) ... befor filling ot my machine ... electric trash is crushed destroyed smashed to pieces so i don't care about dameging it :) i just need to calculate forces on padle of this ... bulk material
... about machine this machine have 4padles .. and 6holes to take material out

If the mixer that I posted a picture of does a good job of mixing up the "blend", can you use it instead?

Likes Asymptotic and russ_watters
hh :D nope i think ok :D thank you for time but i just need to know how to calculate needed power to rotate paddles :D

Likes berkeman
Asymptotic said:
If I'm understanding your application correctly, the 'electric trash' is already 50 mm3 or smaller in size, and the paddle-based blender is to assure a homogeneous size distribution of trash particles. You may wish to re-examine this premise, because you are more likely to segregate the component particles to an even greater degree via the 'Brazil nut' effect.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granular_convection
you are right :) almost :) but true is i don't need to segregate components i just need to make sure every part have same chance to be in sample :) and sample is going ot laboratory ...

russ_watters said:
Is there a particular reason why it needs to be that style?
this style isn't necessary but i don't have about any other style :)

wermix said:
you are right :) almost :) but true is i don't need to segregate components i just need to make sure every part have same chance to be in sample :) and sample is going ot laboratory ...
Then a paddle blender is perhaps not a good choice.

Asymptotic said:
Then a paddle blender is perhaps not a good choice.
any better idea ? :))

wermix said:
any better idea ? :))
I'd go with @russ_watters cement mixer and see how that works out.
Edit: That is, @berkeman 's

Likes russ_watters
so no idea how to calculate it :D

<h2>1. How do you calculate the power requirements for blending granular materials in a machine?</h2><p>The power requirements for blending granular materials in a machine can be calculated by taking into consideration several factors such as the type of material, the desired blending time, the size and speed of the machine, and the density of the material. A formula commonly used for this calculation is P = (M x V x S x D)/T, where P is power, M is the mass of the material, V is the volume of the material, S is the speed of the machine, D is the density of the material, and T is the blending time.</p><h2>2. What is the importance of calculating power requirements for blending granular materials in a machine?</h2><p>Calculating the power requirements for blending granular materials in a machine is important because it helps determine the amount of energy needed to efficiently blend the materials. This information is crucial for selecting the appropriate machine and ensuring its proper functioning and longevity. It also helps in estimating the cost of energy consumption and optimizing the blending process.</p><h2>3. Are there any specific units to be used for calculating power requirements for blending granular materials in a machine?</h2><p>Yes, the units used for calculating power requirements for blending granular materials in a machine may vary depending on the system of measurement being used. However, the most commonly used units are kilograms (kg) for mass, cubic meters (m3) for volume, meters per second (m/s) for speed, kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3) for density, and seconds (s) for blending time.</p><h2>4. Can the power requirements for blending granular materials be determined by trial and error?</h2><p>While it is possible to estimate the power requirements for blending granular materials by trial and error, it is not recommended. This method can be time-consuming and may not provide accurate results. It is best to use a well-established formula and take into consideration all the relevant factors for a more precise calculation.</p><h2>5. Is there a way to reduce the power requirements for blending granular materials in a machine?</h2><p>Yes, there are several ways to reduce the power requirements for blending granular materials in a machine. One way is to use a machine with a higher speed or a larger capacity, which can reduce the blending time and thus the overall power consumption. Another way is to optimize the design of the machine to reduce friction and improve efficiency. Additionally, using materials with lower densities can also help reduce the power requirements.</p>

1. How do you calculate the power requirements for blending granular materials in a machine?

The power requirements for blending granular materials in a machine can be calculated by taking into consideration several factors such as the type of material, the desired blending time, the size and speed of the machine, and the density of the material. A formula commonly used for this calculation is P = (M x V x S x D)/T, where P is power, M is the mass of the material, V is the volume of the material, S is the speed of the machine, D is the density of the material, and T is the blending time.

2. What is the importance of calculating power requirements for blending granular materials in a machine?

Calculating the power requirements for blending granular materials in a machine is important because it helps determine the amount of energy needed to efficiently blend the materials. This information is crucial for selecting the appropriate machine and ensuring its proper functioning and longevity. It also helps in estimating the cost of energy consumption and optimizing the blending process.

3. Are there any specific units to be used for calculating power requirements for blending granular materials in a machine?

Yes, the units used for calculating power requirements for blending granular materials in a machine may vary depending on the system of measurement being used. However, the most commonly used units are kilograms (kg) for mass, cubic meters (m3) for volume, meters per second (m/s) for speed, kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3) for density, and seconds (s) for blending time.

4. Can the power requirements for blending granular materials be determined by trial and error?

While it is possible to estimate the power requirements for blending granular materials by trial and error, it is not recommended. This method can be time-consuming and may not provide accurate results. It is best to use a well-established formula and take into consideration all the relevant factors for a more precise calculation.

5. Is there a way to reduce the power requirements for blending granular materials in a machine?

Yes, there are several ways to reduce the power requirements for blending granular materials in a machine. One way is to use a machine with a higher speed or a larger capacity, which can reduce the blending time and thus the overall power consumption. Another way is to optimize the design of the machine to reduce friction and improve efficiency. Additionally, using materials with lower densities can also help reduce the power requirements.