Calculating Power Requirements for Blending Granular Materials in a Machine

• Thread starter wermix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, this machine is a shredder, not a blender. It will be like a homogenizer, except it will be filled with trash instead of materials to be blended. This machine has a capacity of 40 cubic decimeters, which means that the material can be processed within a set period of time (i.e. - 40 dm3/hour).
wermix said:
so no idea how to calculate it :D
Such things don't get calculated by users or even plant engineers because equipment manufactuers have been refining the designs of appropriate equipment for many years (in this case, millenia). What you do is select an already existing product to use. Here's one that fits your requirements:
http://www.performancetoolcenter.co...Bt94ay_u3c2W_uoBwkAoFOIu3o2XkZCEaAjeaEALw_wcB

The volume is almost exactly what you asked for. Note, the density of your stuff is much smaller, so the 8hp/6kW motor is more than you need.

Likes berkeman and Asymptotic
Engineering news on Phys.org
wermix said:
we have same machine but for blending coal ash and it have capacity about 40dm3 and engine power is 0.18kw
If I needed to find out how much power was necessary, my approach would be to place a weighed sample of the trash in the existing coal ash blender, and measure power usage. Provided both the existing and (proposed, larger) blenders operate at the same paddle speed, power may scale reasonably well with mass. Keep in mind to add a safety factor for the increase in surface area, and accompanying increase in frictional losses.