1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate Pressure on a dam

1. Oct 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Set up and calculate a definite integral giving the total pressure on the dam shown in the figure, which is about the size of the Aswan Dam in Egypt.

The figure is a trapezoid, top 3600m, bottom 3000m, height of 100m.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

First, I will make horizontal slices since the pressure of the water in a horizontal slice is constant when the depth of the slice approaches 0.

Next, I want the area of a slice. To do this, I essentially broke it into three shapes. The two outer triangles, and the inner square. These make up the width, while delta y is the height.

The width of the inner square is a constant 3000. The triangles mimic the line x = 6y, and there are two of them, so I define the area of a slice to be:

(3000+12y)Δy

The pressure on a given slice varies with depth. The force on a given slice is the pressure multiplied by area.

1000gy(3000+12y)Δy

Now I add up all slices with integration, over a depth of 100 meters:

[itex]\int^{100}_{0} 9800y(3000+12y)dy[/itex]

For a final answer of 1.862x10^11 Newtons.

This is incorrect. Where did I go wrong?

Thank you.

EDIT: Is it because the direction of increasing pressure and of "larger width" of the slices don't match? Must be it, how to correct? -12y?

Making that change, I get 1.07x10^11 N. I only have one attempt left, look good?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?