Calculate PSI of a Cylinder and Figure Force Produced?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to reduce the pressure in a cylinder with a 2000 psi shell producing twice the necessary power to push a 3lb rod. It is suggested to drill a hole of around 0.125 inches in diameter to reduce the pressure by 50%. The force of the rod at the end of its 10" run is estimated to be around 1000 lbs, but could vary depending on various factors.
jmelton
I have a blank 12ga round producing 2000psi In a .75" ID. cylinder. The 2000 psi shell is producing twice the power I need to push my 3lb rod out of the cylinder. The cylinder is 10" long and the rod is 8" long. There is 1" of room between the expanded shell and the solid shaft. I was wondering the size of a hole I need to drill right past the shell to act as a small exhaust to reduce the psi in the cylinder by 50%. Or how many holes it would take to do this. Also if you would know how many pounds of force this rod would produce at impact directly at the end of its 10" run on 1000psi.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The size of the hole you need to drill depends on several factors, such as the type of material the shell is made out of, the pressure of the gas inside, and the size of the cylinder. Generally speaking, in order to reduce the pressure in the cylinder by 50%, the hole should be around 0.125 inches in diameter.As for the force of the rod at impact, assuming it is a solid rod, the force of the rod at the end of its 10" run would be approximately 1000 lbs. However, this is only an estimate and the actual force could vary depending on the material of the rod, the friction of the walls of the cylinder, and other factors.

1. What is the formula for calculating PSI of a cylinder?

The formula for calculating PSI (pounds per square inch) of a cylinder is PSI = Force / (pi * (radius)^2), where the force is measured in pounds and the radius is measured in inches.

2. How do I figure out the force produced by a cylinder?

The force produced by a cylinder can be calculated using the formula Force = PSI * pi * (radius)^2. Simply plug in the PSI and radius values to get the force in pounds.

3. What is the relationship between PSI and force in a cylinder?

PSI and force in a cylinder have a direct relationship, meaning that as one increases, the other also increases. This relationship is described by the formula PSI = Force / (pi * (radius)^2).

4. Can I calculate the PSI of a cylinder with different units of measurement?

Yes, you can calculate the PSI of a cylinder using different units of measurement as long as they are consistent. For example, if the force is measured in newtons and the radius is measured in meters, the formula would be PSI = (Force * 0.2248) / (3.14 * (radius)^2).

5. How do I convert PSI to other units of measurement?

To convert PSI to other units of measurement, you can use conversion factors. For example, to convert PSI to bar, multiply the PSI value by 0.06895. To convert PSI to pascals, multiply the PSI value by 6894.76. It is important to always check and use the correct conversion factor for the desired unit of measurement.