Calculate RMS current? [SOLVED] Calculate RMS current!?

• Thread starter lettertwelve
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current Rms
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of RMS current for heavy-duty appliances with a maximum potential difference of 240 V and a total resistance of 190 ohms. The person initially had trouble solving for RMS current, but with the help of the other person and the use of Ohm's law, they were able to successfully find the answer. The conversation also touches on the importance of learning and understanding concepts rather than just being given solutions.
lettertwelve
[SOLVED] calculate RMS current!?

Homework Statement

The maximum potential difference across certain heavy-duty appliances is 240 V. Assume that the total resistance of an appliance is 190 ohms.
(a) Calculate the rms potential difference.
169.68V <--CORRECT

but for

(b) calculate the RMS current,

i have no idea what to do!?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you obtain your answer for the RMS voltage? Show some work, please.

G01 said:
How did you obtain your answer for the RMS voltage? Show some work, please.

i did 240V * .707 (i got .707 from Vrms)

Ok. Here's a hint:

HINT: RMS voltages and RMS currents across a resistive load follow rules analogous to their DC counterparts. So, do you remember how DC voltage and current across a resistor are related?

G01 said:
Ok. Here's a hint:

HINT: RMS Voltages and RMS Currents across a resistive load follow rules analogous to their DC counterparts. So, do you remember how DC Voltage and Current across a resistor are related?

i really don't,
and honestly i guess for part A.

i don't know why I am taking physics, but I am stuck with it.
its not that i don't try...
i just don't understand :\

i know DC and AC have something to do with transformers

Then you should look up the answer if you do not remember. You must have done DC circuits if you are discussing AC concepts like these. I'm telling you that the RMS voltage and current values across a resistor follow the same laws that DC voltages and currents across a resistor follow.

The fact that you don't remember that law means that you should probably review your notes from previous classes or look it up in your book. I do not see how me just giving you the law helps you in your physics education in the long run.

I'll ask you again, just so you are clear on what your looking for:

What law relates the DC voltage across a resistor to the Current through it? The RMS Values you are working with also follow the same law.

Last edited:
G01 said:
Then you should look up the answer if you do not remember. You must have done DC circuits if you are discussing AC concepts like these. I'm telling you that the RMS voltage and current values across a resistor follow the same laws that DC voltages and currents across a resistor follow.

The fact that you don't remember that law means that you should probably review your notes from previous classes or look it up in your book. I do not see how me just giving you the law helps you in the long run.

I'll ask you again, just so you are clear on what your looking for:

What law relates the DC voltage across a resistor to the Current through it? The RMS Values you are working with also follow the same law.

i didnt say i don't remember, because i never knew in the first place...but is it Ohm's law? V=IR?

It is indeed Ohm's law. Apparently you did know. You just didn't know you knew.

Now that you know that the RMS Values of voltage and resistance follow Ohm's law, can you find the RMS current from the information you have?

again, a guess..

so, if V=IR

then 169.68=I*190? =.89

i think?

thats the answer. thanks!

That is correct. Good Job.:smile:

Just a word of advice for your future posts on PF. You may have a bad teacher, or you may just not be a physics person, but that does not mean that you deserve to be given solutions or methods to solve your problems more than anyone else here. Here, we try to help you figure out how to solve the problems. We do not solve them for you or just give you the method to get to the solution. You would learn nothing from that. Now, you solved this problem yourself with only a little guidance from me. You should feel good about that. Would you have felt as good, or learned anything if I just told you to use Ohm's Law?

G01 said:
That is correct. Good Job.:smile:

Just a word of advice for your future posts on PF. You may have a bad teacher, or you may just not be a physics person, but that does not mean that you deserve to be given solutions or methods to solve your problems more than anyone else here. Here, we try to help you figure out how to solve the problems. We do not solve them for you or just give you the method to get to the solution. You would learn nothing from that. Now, you solved this problem yourself with only a little guidance from me. You should feel good about that. Would you have felt as good, or learned anything if I just told you to use Ohm's Law?

i understand thanks!

What is RMS current?

RMS current stands for Root Mean Square current and it is a measure of the average current in an alternating current (AC) circuit. It is also known as the effective current and is used to calculate the power in AC circuits.

How is RMS current calculated?

RMS current is calculated by taking the square root of the average of the squares of the instantaneous current values over one cycle. The formula for calculating RMS current is: IRMS = √(1/T ∫T I(t)^2 dt), where T is the period of the current waveform and I(t) is the instantaneous current at time t.

Why is RMS current important?

RMS current is important because it is the most accurate representation of the current in an AC circuit. It takes into account the changing direction and amplitude of the current, unlike the peak or average current which only consider the maximum or average value. RMS current is also used in calculations for power, voltage, and resistance in AC circuits.

What is the difference between RMS current and peak current?

Peak current is the maximum value of an AC current, while RMS current is the effective value. Peak current does not take into account the changing direction of the current, whereas RMS current does. In most cases, RMS current is a more useful and accurate measure of the current in an AC circuit.

What are some common applications of RMS current?

RMS current is used in a variety of applications such as power generation, power transmission, and electrical measurements. It is also used in household appliances, electronics, and industrial machinery that operate on AC power. Additionally, RMS current is important in safety calculations for electrical systems to ensure they can handle the heat generated by the current.