Calculate stress, strain & YME

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of tensile stress, strain, and Modulus of Elasticity for a round bar experiencing an applied tensile load. The answers provided appear to be correct and the units may vary. The person expressing appreciation for having their answers checked and potentially being pointed in the right direction if they are incorrect.
BIGEYE
Appreciate if someone can take the time to check my answers to the following question. If wrong, could you point me in the right direction.

A round bar, 800 mm long, CSA 15 mm^2 experiences an applied tensile load of 6 kN and stretches elastically by 3 mm.a) Calculate the tensile stress in the bar.
My answer 400 MN/m^2

b) Calculate the strain on the rod.
My answer 0.00375 or 0.375%

c) Calculate the Modulus of Elasticity of the material.
My answer 106.67 GN/m^2

Physics news on Phys.org
The answers look correct, except I set the units up different, but the numbers seem okay.

Thnx for taking the time.

1. What is stress?

Stress is a measure of the internal forces acting on a material. It is typically represented as force per unit area and is measured in units of pressure, such as pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

2. How is strain calculated?

Strain is calculated by taking the change in length of a material divided by its original length. It is typically represented as a decimal or percentage.

3. What factors affect the Young's Modulus of Elasticity (YME)?

The YME of a material is affected by its composition, crystal structure, and temperature. Generally, materials with stronger bonds and higher stiffness have a higher YME, while materials with weaker bonds and lower stiffness have a lower YME.

4. Can stress and strain be negative values?

Yes, stress and strain can be negative values. This occurs when the material is experiencing compressive forces, causing it to shorten in length. Positive values occur when the material is experiencing tensile forces, causing it to lengthen.

5. How is the YME used in engineering applications?

The YME is an important property used in engineering applications to determine how materials will behave under stress and strain. It is used to design structures, predict failure points, and select appropriate materials for specific applications.