1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate sum. Fermionic operators

1. Jun 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How to calculate?
    ## \sum _{i,j} \langle 0|\prod_n \hat{C}_n \hat{C}^+_i\hat{C}_j \prod_n \hat{C}^+_n|0 \rangle ##

2. Relevant equations
    ##\hat{C}^+, \hat{C}## are fermionic operators.
    ##\{\hat{C}_i,\hat{C}^+_j\}=\delta_{i,j}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have a question. What is ##|0 \rangle##? Is that maybe ##|0 0\rangle##?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2013 #2
    Are the [itex]\hat{C}[/itex]'s ladder operators?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  4. Jun 5, 2013 #3

Mute

Homework Helper

Presumably you have some number of Fermions, ##N##. Then, ##\left| 0 \right\rangle## represents the vacuum state which contains no Fermions - you can take it as a shorthand for

$$\underbrace{\left| 0 0 \dots 0 \right\rangle}_{N~\rm{terms}}.$$

So, the Fermion creation operator for the kth fermion when acting on this state will create a Fermion in the kth slot of the vacuum state (changing the 0 to a 1).

That is,

$$\hat{c}_k^\dagger \left| 0 0 \dots 0_k \dots 0 \right\rangle = \left| 0 0 \dots 1_k \dots 0 \right\rangle,$$
    where I used a subscript ##k## to denote that that is the kth entry in the state.

5. Jun 5, 2013 #4
    Tnx.

##c^+_k|00…0k…0\rangle=|00…1k…0\rangle##
    and is maybe
    ##c^+_k|00…1k…0\rangle=0?##
    Then
    ##\prod_n c^+_n |000...0\rangle=|111...1\rangle##

6. Jun 5, 2013 #5
    So result is
    ## \sum_{i,j}\langle 1111...|\hat{C}^+_i\hat{C}_j|111...\rangle=\sum_{i,j}\delta_{i,j}?##

7. Jun 5, 2013 #6

Mute

Homework Helper

That's what it looks like to me. Note that since you're summing over i and j you should get a number out at the end.

8. Jun 6, 2013 #7
    And is it necessarily to ##\langle 1...1|1...1 \rangle## be ##1##?

9. Jun 6, 2013 #8
    this is a problem in anti commutation. Anti commute the annihilation operators past all the other operators so that they may annihilate the vacuum, in other words you have to normal order the operators

10. Jun 8, 2013 #9

Mute

Homework Helper

While not strictly necessary, typically the wavefunctions are defined to be normalized, no?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted