• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Calculate tension if acceleration given

  • Thread starter bigman8424
  • Start date
a 70.0 kb man climbs vertical rope attached to ceiling. weight of rope is neglected. calculate tension in rope, if accelerate up rope at 0.40 m/s^2

T = m(g+a)
T = 70.0(9.8+.4)
= 714 N


slides downward acceleration of .40
T = m(g-a)
t = 70.0(9.8-.4)
= 685 N

looks good?
 
2,208
1
Looks fine to me.
 
1,100
0
bigman8424 said:
a 70.0 kb man climbs vertical rope attached to ceiling. weight of rope is neglected. calculate tension in rope, if accelerate up rope at 0.40 m/s^2

T = m(g+a)
T = 70.0(9.8+.4)
= 714 N


slides downward acceleration of .40
T = m(g-a)
t = 70.0(9.8-.4)
= 685 N

looks good?
Might just be me, but if he goes up at 0.4 then g is -9.8 because it is acting in the opposite direction. If you think about it in the direction as g is 9.8 then is acceleration is going to be -0.4.

So the second one looks good to me. :smile:

The Bob (2004 ©)
 
2,208
1
The Bob said:
Might just be me, but if he goes up at 0.4 then g is -9.8 because it is acting in the opposite direction. If you think about it in the direction as g is 9.8 then is acceleration is going to be -0.4.

So the second one looks good to me. :smile:

The Bob (2004 ©)
As he goes up he pulls down on the rope.
 
1,100
0
whozum said:
As he goes up he pulls down on the rope.
I see. :smile:

Cheers. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)
 

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving
Top