1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate tensiøn in strings.

1. Feb 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A weight with mass m is strung up by two strings which are attached in A and B. The mass m is considered a point.
    Calculate the tension i in string A and in string B.

Figure is here http://tinypic.com/r/1y1jrr/6

The mass m is 11,1kg
    Distance a is 3,2m
    Distance b is 3,4m
    Distance c is 2,6 m
    Distance d is 3,7m

(I'm translating directly from Danish, so I might not have gotten all the terms into correct English...)

3. The attempt at a solution

The first thing I did was to calculate the force G for the weight using G= mg
    = 11,1*9,81 = 1089N.

I then tried to find the angles between the strings and the imaginary x-axis by using the measurements provided.

The angle between string A and the x-axis(angle v1): invers tan 3,2/2,6≈51°

The angle between string A and the x-axis(angle v2): invers tan 6,6/3,7≈61°

I then set up two equations, one for the horisontal force and one for the vertical force:

Horisontally: A*cosv1-B*cosv2=0
    Vertically: A*sinv1+B*sinv2=108,9

And this is where I get stuck... I don't even know if I'm going about this the right way so I'd appreciate it if someone could have a look at it and point me in the right direction.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2013 #2
    So far you have done everything correctly. Why are you stuck? You should just solve the system now.

4. Feb 9, 2013 #3
    I wasn't sure I'd done it correctly since I ended up with two equations with two unknowns(up until now I've done tasks where either A or B would have been given from the beginning.)

To continue on from my first post, would this be the correct way to solve the system?

A*cosv1-B*cosv2=0
    A*sin v1+B*sinv2= 108,9

A*0,6293-B*04848=0
    A*0,7771+B*0,8746=108,9

(add up A)

1,4064A = 108,9 -->A=774kN

Then put value for A into the first equation which gives B = 100,5kN

5. Feb 10, 2013 #4
    This is not entirely correct. If you simply add together the two equations, you won't eliminate B; you will have

1.4064 A + 0.424 B = 108.9, which leads you nowhere.

What you should do is multiply the first equation by 0.8746/0.4848 and then add the resultant equation to the second one; the result will not have B. Can you see why?

6. Feb 10, 2013 #5
    Ah, I see my mistake. In order to do what I did the two B values would have had to be the same value in order to cancel each other out?(one being - and the other being +)

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but do you mean using 0,8746/0,4848 as a fraction like this:

[itex]A*0,6293-B*04848=0 *\frac{0,8746}{0,4848}[/itex] and then cancel 0,4848 against 0,4848?

I'm pretty sure what I just wrote is "illegal" in the world of math, but I'll leave it for now as I don't have anything better to write. I know most calculators could solve equation systems like these, but I would like to learn how to do it by hand as well, so I'd be grateful if anyone could recommend some good videos on the topic.

7. Feb 10, 2013 #6
    I am not sure about videos, but what you have here is a system of linear algebraic equations - the simplest case, two equations for two unknowns. I am pretty sure your high school curriculum should cover this.

When you multiply an equation such as aA - bB = 0 by some c, you end up with the equation acA- bcB = 0. In this case, c = 0.8746/0.4848, and, indeed, it would transform b = 0.4848 into bc = 0.8746. But mind what happens to a: it becomes ac.

8. Feb 11, 2013 #7
    Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook