Calculate the allowable range of initial velocities

In summary, the problem involves a golfer trying to putt a ball either 1.0m long or short of the cup. The uphill position is more difficult due to the ball constantly decelerating at 3.0 m/s^2, while the downhill position has a constant deceleration of 2.0m/s^2. The golfer must calculate the allowable range of initial velocities for the ball to stop within 1.0m of the cup. This can be done by using the equation V(init) = sqrt[V(final)-2a(x-x(init)]. The process must be repeated for both the uphill and downhill portions of the problem.
electro05
Hi all. I'm stuck on a physics problem obviously...So the original problem basically is a golfer is trying to put a ball 1.0m long or short of the cup. From uphill it is more difficult than downhill-explain why. Assume that the ball decelerates constantly at 2.0m/s^2 going downhill, and constantly at 3.0 m/s^2 going uphill. The uphill and downhill lie are both 7.0m from the cup. I'm supposed to calculate the allowable range of initial velocities that can be imparted on the ball so that it stops in the 1.0m long or short range from the cup.

I wrote down my given for this: (hope i got it right)
a(up)=2.0m/s^2
a(down)=-3.0m/s^2
V(init)=?
V(final)=0m/s
x(down)=-7.0m
x(up)=7.0m (should the distance be different since the golfer can hit it anywhere between 6m-8m?)

I tried using the V(init)=sqrt[V(final)-2a(x-x(init)], but i don't think I'm doing it right. Can someone give me some pointers or explain this problem a bit more? Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have the correct equation.
Calculate the velocity to get it to stop 1 meter in front from uphill. Then calculate the velocity for 1 m behind for uphill. Now you have your range of allowable velocities for hitting the ball from uphill. Repeat the same process for the downhill portion of the problem.

thanks much!

1. What is the purpose of calculating the allowable range of initial velocities?

The purpose of calculating the allowable range of initial velocities is to determine the range of velocities that an object can have at the start of its motion without breaking any physical laws or constraints.

2. How is the allowable range of initial velocities calculated?

The allowable range of initial velocities is calculated by taking into account various factors such as the object's mass, the forces acting upon it, and any physical limitations or boundaries. This calculation involves using mathematical equations and principles of physics.

3. Why is it important to calculate the allowable range of initial velocities?

Calculating the allowable range of initial velocities is important because it allows us to determine the safe and permissible speeds at which an object can be launched or propelled without causing harm or damage. It also helps in designing and testing equipment or devices that involve the movement of objects.

4. What are some examples of applications that require the calculation of the allowable range of initial velocities?

Some examples of applications that require the calculation of the allowable range of initial velocities include launching rockets into space, designing roller coasters, calculating the speed of projectiles in ballistics, and determining the speed of vehicles on a roller skating rink or ice rink.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions when calculating the allowable range of initial velocities?

Yes, there can be limitations and assumptions when calculating the allowable range of initial velocities. For example, the calculations may not be accurate in cases of extreme conditions or if there are external factors that affect the object's motion. Assumptions may also be made about the object's shape, size, and environment, which may not always be completely accurate.