1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the average power required by the electric motors

1. Nov 5, 2005 #1
    I have three questions that I am pretty confused about:

1. A slope rises 15m veritcally for every 40m of its length (in horizontal direction). A car of mass 1.25t travels a distance of 150m up the slope at uniform speed. Find the work done if the frictional resistance is 40N.

2. A body of mass 0.3kg slides from rest down a plane inclined at 30 degrees to the horizontal. After sliding 30m down the plane it is found to have a speed of 10m/s. How much work has been done in overcoming friction along the plane?

3. A Swiss mountain railway car of the rack and pinion type leaves Zermatt (1608m above sea level) at 9:30am and completes the 9km journey to the Gurnergrat (3136m above sea level) at 10:15am. If the car and the passengers together have a mass of 45t, calculate the average power required by the electric motors (neglect friction).
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

Please show what you've tried.
  4. Nov 7, 2005 #3
    Never mind! I solved them. :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?