Calculate the average Relative Atomic Mass of this sample of krypton

In summary, when a glass bulb with a 1.00 dm3 capacity was filled with krypton at a pressure of 1.00 X 105 Pa and a temperature of 300K, its mass increased by 3.32 g. This increase in mass is due to the addition of krypton, which has a mass of 3.32 g. By using the given pressure, volume, and temperature, the amount of krypton can be calculated and used to find the average Relative Atomic Mass of the sample.
recon
When an evacuated glass bulb of 1.00 dm3 capacity was filled with a sample of krypton at a pressure of 1.00 X 105 Pa and at a temperature of 300K, its mass increased by 3.32 g. Calculate the average Relative Atomic Mass of this sample of krypton.

It's the 'mass increased by 3.32g' part that confuses me. Can anyone tell me how to handle this?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
the glass's mass increased - since krypton was added

mass is conserved, so mass of krypton is 3.32 g.

You have P, you have V, you know R and T, what is n for 3.32 g of krypton?

What is relativistic atomic mass from that n?

Bulb was empty (or rather full of weightless vacuum :smile: ) and then was filled with krypton. Increase in mass is mass of krypton.

Chemical calculators for labs and education
BATE - pH calculations, titration curves

Last edited:
hehe...I thought the 'it' was in reference to the sample of krypton, but I understand now. Thanks a lot you guys.

1. What is the formula for calculating the average relative atomic mass of a sample of krypton?

The formula for calculating the average relative atomic mass is: (mass of isotope 1 x relative abundance of isotope 1) + (mass of isotope 2 x relative abundance of isotope 2) + ... + (mass of isotope n x relative abundance of isotope n)

2. How do I determine the relative abundance of each isotope in a sample of krypton?

The relative abundance of each isotope can be determined by dividing the number of atoms of a specific isotope by the total number of atoms in the sample.

3. What is the difference between relative atomic mass and atomic mass?

Relative atomic mass is the weighted average of the masses of all the naturally occurring isotopes of an element, taking into account their relative abundance. Atomic mass is the mass of a single atom of an element, usually given in atomic mass units (amu).

4. Can the average relative atomic mass of a sample of krypton change?

The average relative atomic mass of a sample of krypton can change if the relative abundance of its isotopes changes. However, the mass of individual atoms of krypton will remain the same.

5. How does the average relative atomic mass of krypton compare to other elements?

The average relative atomic mass of krypton is approximately 83.80 amu. This is higher than elements such as carbon (12.01 amu) and oxygen (15.99 amu), but lower than elements such as silver (107.87 amu) and gold (196.97 amu).