1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the buoyant force exerted by the water on the sphere

1. Jun 13, 2005 #1
    A hollow, plastic sphere is held below the surface of a freshwater lake by a cord anchored to the bottom of the lake. The sphere has a volume of 0.700 M^3 and the tension in the cord is 760 N.

Calculate the buoyant force exerted by the water on the sphere. Take the density of water to be 1000 kg/m^3 and the free fall acceleration to be 9.80 m/s^2.
    **for this I set up Bouyant = density *Volume*gravity = 6860 N

What is the mass of the sphere? Take the density of water to be 1000kg/m^3 and the free fall acceleration to be 9.80m/s^2 .
    **here I used Buoyant = mg+T and solved for m, so answer for m= 622 kg

The cord breaks and the sphere rises to the surface. When the sphere comes to rest, what fraction of its volume will be submerged? Express your answer as a percentage.
    **For the sphere to be at rest, mg = B. There is no tension anymore, since the cord was broken. I express B as a function of the volume of the sphere that is still submerged:

mg = B --> rho*V*g = 0.7 how do I express it as a percentage? I tried 70%

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2005 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The first two look good. The mg on the left side of your last equation involves the mass of the sphere you already calculated. The buoyant force will be rho*V*g, but rho is the density of water and V is the volume of water displaced. This does not equal .700. Use the mg = B part to find B and use B = rho*V*g to find V. The ratio of that V (volume of displaced water) to the volume of the sphere is the fraction submerged.

4. Jun 13, 2005 #3
    622 kg * 9.8 = 6095.6 N

6095.6N / (1000 * 9.8) = 0.622

0.622 / 0.700 = 88.9% is this correct?

5. Jun 13, 2005 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks good to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?