1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the central angle of a regular dodecahedron

1. May 1, 2004 #1
    A friend at work asked me to calculate the central angle of a regular dodecahedron. I think he was trying to stump me. :smile: Just to be sure we are talking the same thing, he was referring to the angle between any two radii drawn from a vertex of the dodecahedron to the center.

At any rate, I did a quick calculation and came up with two answers: 180 degrees and 52.44 degrees. Before I present him with these answers, I just want to check - am I anywhere near close?

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2004 #2
    Please remind me what is
    "regular dodecahedron." :eek:

Thank you
    Moshe :smile:

4. May 1, 2004 #3
    Dodecahedron

5. May 1, 2004 #4
    Thank you Warr for Wolfram web-site. Now i see . Hipasus was studding it's geometry when he first discover the existence of irrational number, but Euclid wrote in his 10th book the element only about the root of 2.

Moshek :smile:

"The discovery of incommensurrability by Hippasus of Metapontum" by Kurt von Frits (Ann of Math, 1945).

Last edited: May 1, 2004
  6. May 1, 2004 #5
    Ooops - my two answers were 0 degrees and 52.44 degrees. I goofed up the sign of one answer initially. Sorry! So, that makes me a little happier with my results.

7. May 1, 2004 #6
    Holy Mackerel! I found another error. My answers are now 0 degrees and 63.44 degrees. Lesson learned - never tackle a problem before your first cup of coffee in the morning!

8. May 2, 2004 #7
    Geometer: Your lesson is great !

Do you know what happend to Hipasus after his discovery
    about irrationality in the pentagon
    and what was his lesson from that?

Moshek :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?