1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the change in entropy of the system

1. Jun 3, 2005 #1
    An aluminum can, with negligible heat capacity, is filled with 485 g of water at 0°C and then is brought into thermal contact with a similar can filled with 517 g of water at 48.5°C. Calculate the change in entropy of the system if no heat is exchanged with the surroundings.

1) I find avg temp, which turns out to be: ~298
    2) I calc change in temp for both sides, and find Q. (deltaT)(4.184)(mass)
    3) Divide each Q (they're the same, with one being negative) by each starting temperature
    4) I come up with .163599 J/K, which is wrong

Where am I messing up? I have 4-5 problems identical to this but can't figure any of them out!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2005 #2
    Can you show your calculations?

4. Jun 3, 2005 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since the temperature changes as the heat is absorbed/lost, you have to integrate:

[tex]\Delta S = \int_{T_i}^{T_f} dQ/T = cm\int_{T_i}^{T_f} dT/T = cm* ln(\frac{T_f}{T_i})[/tex]

AM

5. Jun 3, 2005 #4
    Thanks so much, I've been very frustrated with how to do those and couldn't find the answer ANYWHERE. Big thanks!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?