1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the charge on the ball

1. Jan 25, 2005 #1
    I have been working on this problem all night. I am not looking for a numberical answer, just help with the equations. A charged cork ball of mass 1.15 g is suspended on a light string in the presence of a uniform electric field.

When the electric field has an x component of 3.05E+5 N/C, and a y component of 4.81E+5 N/C, the ball is in equilibrium at q = 35.7o. Calculate the charge on the ball.

I can not figure out how to find the electric field using the x and y components. One I figure that out I can get the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2005 #2
    there are 2 forces acting on the ball
    1. electrostatic force
    2. gravity
    draw the free body diagram, and realize Fx/Fy=tan35.7

4. Jan 25, 2005 #3
    I still can't figure it out..I have q=(mgtan)/ E What I can't figure out is E. I know how to work the problem in reverse, when Given E and having to find Fx and Fy. Then finding the Magnitude (E= sqrt(fx^2+Fy^2)).

5. Jan 25, 2005 #4
    I don't know why you're trying to solve E as sqrt(fx^2+Fy^2)... It's actually very useless to solve the problem that way.

Why don't you just solve the components of the forces seperately since you are given E for each? Keep in mind that you will just have to keep the charge as a variable...

6. Jan 25, 2005 #5
    do you mean: Ex=(kq/r^2)cos and Ey=-(kq/r^2)sin...if so I don't know how to get the radius without the length of the string.

7. Jan 25, 2005 #6
    Ex = Fx/q where q is the charge

Fx = Ex*q <----- you can use this as the substitute for the Force in x component

I think you can take it from here...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?