Calculate curl F at (1,1,1): Confirm Answer

• Thread starter aaronfue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curl
In summary, the curl of F at the point (1,1,1) is calculated to be 2.72i - 2.72j + 0k or ei - ej + 0k. The correct answer should have a negative on the second term rather than a positive.
aaronfue

Homework Statement

Calculate the curl F:

F(x,y,z) = cos(x)i + sin(y)j + exyk at point (1,1,1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

After calculating ∇×F, my answer was:

curl F = 2.72i + 2.72j + 0k

I'd appreciate a confirmation of my answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
aaronfue said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the curl F:

F(x,y,z) = cos(x)i + sin(y)j + exyk at point (1,1,1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

After calculating ∇×F, my answer was:

curl F = 2.72i + 2.72j + 0k

I'd appreciate a confirmation of my answer.

No answer is possible until you say at what point you are evaluating the curl. Come on.

Dick said:
No answer is possible until you say at what point you are evaluating the curl. Come on.

Sorry. Point noted in question.

aaronfue said:
Sorry. Point noted in question.

Yeah, my over sight. But I'm getting [e,-e,0]. My sorry. Can you check that again?

Dick said:
Yeah, my over sight. But I'm getting [e,-e,0]. Can you check that again?

Yeah, my answer should be [e,-e,0]. I forgot to put a negative on the second rather than a positive.

Answer should be:

curl F = 2.72i - 2.72j + 0k

or

curl F = ei - ej + 0k

aaronfue said:
Yeah, my answer should be [e,-e,0]. I forgot to put a negative on the second rather than a positive.

Answer should be:

curl F = 2.72i - 2.72j + 0k

or

curl F = ei - ej + 0k

Then I'll confirm that.

Dick said:
Then I'll confirm that.

Thank you!

1. What is the formula for calculating the curl of a vector field at a specific point?

The formula for calculating the curl of a vector field at a specific point is given by ∇ x F = ( ∂F₃/∂y - ∂F₂/∂z, ∂F₁/∂z - ∂F₃/∂x, ∂F₂/∂x - ∂F₁/∂y ) where F is the vector field and ∇ is the del operator.

2. How do you confirm the answer for the curl of a vector field at a specific point?

To confirm the answer for the curl of a vector field at a specific point, you can use the formula mentioned in the previous question and plug in the values of the given vector field at the specified point. If the resulting values match the calculated curl, then the answer is confirmed.

3. What does the curl of a vector field represent?

The curl of a vector field represents the tendency of the vector field to rotate or circulate around a specific point. It is a measure of the rotational or circular motion of the vector field.

4. How is the curl of a vector field related to its divergence?

The curl of a vector field and its divergence are related through the divergence theorem, which states that the divergence of a vector field is equal to the flux of its curl. In other words, the curl of a vector field represents the rotational components while the divergence represents the expanding or contracting components of the vector field.

5. Can the curl of a vector field be negative?

Yes, the curl of a vector field can be negative. The sign of the curl depends on the direction of the rotation of the vector field. If the rotation is clockwise, the curl will be negative and if it is counterclockwise, the curl will be positive.