Calculate the Current in each branch of the circuit?

In summary: The voltage on the right side (labeled "-12") should always be negative. The other three equations should also be correct, but you will need to solve for the unknown currents.
hilly1989

Homework Statement

Calculate the current in each branch of the circuit bellow?
The Circuit: http://picasaweb.google.com.au/hilly1989/ElectronicsDiagrams#5317672833283799074

Calculated currents using Multisim:
http://picasaweb.google.com.au/hilly1989/ElectronicsDiagrams#5317672834037978066
http://picasaweb.google.com.au/hilly1989/ElectronicsDiagrams#5317672827677160434
http://picasaweb.google.com.au/hilly1989/ElectronicsDiagrams#5317672823464210754

Homework Equations

Ohm's Law V=IR
KVL: Sum of all voltages must = 0
KCL: Sum of current going in = sum of current going out

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically we have to show the math behind the simulated circuits.
I know i have 8 unknowns in the circuit. And i think i have been able to get 8 independent equations.

I1=I2+I3
-12+V5+V2+V3+V4+4=0
4+V4+V3+V1=0
V1=8*I3
V2=3*I1
V3=5*I2
V4=I2
V5=I1

(Note: I've ignored the Batteries being labeled as V1 and V2)

We have been taught to obtain equations using Ohm's Law, KVL and KCL.
I have tried to solve these equation but am unable to.
Are these equations correct and am i on the right track?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi hilly1989! :smile:

Nice diagrams btw! :wink:
hilly1989 said:
I1=I2+I3
-12+V5+V2+V3+V4+4=0
4+V4+V3+V1=0

I have tried to solve these equation but am unable to.
Are these equations correct and am i on the right track?

-12 in the second equation is wrong … you missed one of the batteries :redface:

Thanks for the reply.

(2) -12+V5+V2+V3+V4+4=0

I have the second battery at the end of this equation as "+4".
Should this be a negative - if the my 12v Battery is positive?

you're gravitating toward mesh analysis, a method that uses kVL to solve for currents in circuits that form loops with mostly batteries (current sources can be handles with a super-mesh).

To solve the system of equations, try to use your KVL to form a system of 2 equations that are in terms of two currents. Then, using good old plug in chug or an RREF matrix with your calculator, solve for the two currents. Note, you have two unknown currents by this point and two equations. Of course, with two currents, the third can always be obtained.

hilly1989 said:
I have the second battery at the end of this equation as "+4".
Should this be a negative - if the my 12v Battery is positive?

If I understand your question, yes. When you write the voltage of a source, you follow the direction of the current. The sign you hit first is the sign of the voltage if the voltages are positive in the diagram. Reversing the direction of the current would reverse the sign of every voltage source that relies on that current during the construction of KVL equations. This is because of the passive sign convention. Current comes out the positive of a source and into the positive of a resistor. If your battery is 5V but your current is entering the the positive terminal, you need to reverse the terminals to satisfy the convention, which makes the voltage negative of whatever it was. So the voltage would be -5 * the current. If the voltage was in that same initial polarity but labeled -5, to satisfy the convention you would flip the terminals and make it 5v.

a simple rule to follow: make all voltage sources positive numbers. Don't forget to change the terminals appropriately. (changing -5 to 5 would reverse the + and - sing on the diagram). Then, whatever sign you hit first as you follow the current will be the sign.Also, your second equation (-12+V5+V2+V3+V4+4=0) is correct.

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate the current in each branch of a circuit?

To calculate the current in each branch of a circuit, you will need to use Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). Simply apply this equation to each branch of the circuit to determine the current flowing through each branch.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the current in each branch of a circuit?

Calculating the current in each branch of a circuit helps to understand the flow of electricity and how the circuit is functioning. It can also help to identify any issues or imbalances in the circuit.

3. Can you calculate the current in a circuit without knowing the voltage?

No, it is not possible to calculate the current in a circuit without knowing the voltage. Both voltage and resistance are necessary components of Ohm's Law and are required to calculate the current.

4. Is it necessary to calculate the current in each branch of a circuit separately?

Yes, it is necessary to calculate the current in each branch of a circuit separately. This is because each branch may have a different resistance or voltage, which will affect the current flowing through it.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the current in a circuit?

Yes, there are several other factors that can affect the current in a circuit, such as temperature, material properties, and circuit components like capacitors and inductors. These factors may cause the current to vary from the calculated value.