Calculate the density of the object

• Thread starter DDS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Density
The density of the oil is the mass, 2141 g, divided by the volume, 3466 cc, which is about 0.618 g/cc.
DDS
An object weighing 324 N in air is immersed in water after being tied to a string connected to a balance. The scale now reads 290 N. Immersed in oil, the object weighs 303 N. Calculate the density of the object.

B)Calculate the density of the oil.

Part A:

The mass of the object is 33.027 kg
and the mass when submerged in water is 29.561 kg.

This means the volume would be 3.466 because the volume of the object is the volume of the displaced water.

So, 33.027 kg/ 3.466 kg =9.5288 and the answer is wrong.
What am i doing wrong.

As for B i don't know how to tackle it

Physics news on Phys.org
The mass of the object doesn't change when submerged. What forces act on the object? Figure out what the buoyant force must equal and use that to figure the volume of the object.

DDS said:
An object weighing 324 N in air is immersed in water after being tied to a string connected to a balance. The scale now reads 290 N. Immersed in oil, the object weighs 303 N. Calculate the density of the object.

B)Calculate the density of the oil.

Part A:

The mass of the object is 33.027 kg
and the mass when submerged in water is 29.561 kg.
I wouldn't word it that way! The mass of an object doesn't change when it is submerged in water- it's weight does because of an upward bouyancy force. What is true here is that there is an upward bouyancy force of 324- 290 = 34 N. That would be equivalent to 34/9.81= 3.466 kg of water or, since water has a density of 1 g per cc, displacing 3466 cm3 of water. The object has a volume of 3.466 kiloliters.
This means the volume would be 3.466 kiloliters or 3466 cubic centimeters because the volume of the object is the volume of the displaced water.

So, 33.027 kg/ 3.466 kg =9.5288 and the answer is wrong.
What am i doing wrong.
I would strongly advise you to be careful about your units! The mass of the object is 324/9.81= 33.027 kg so its density is 33027 g/3466 cc= 9.5288 grams per cubic centimeter. Why do you say the answer is wrong?

As for B i don't know how to tackle it
The bouyancy force due to the oil is 324-303= 21 N so the oil displaced has a mass of 21/9.81= 2.141 kg= 2141 grams. The volume of oil displaced is the volume of the object, 3466 cubic centimeters.

1. What is density?

Density is a measure of how much matter is contained in a given volume of an object. It is usually expressed in units of mass per unit volume, such as grams per milliliter or kilograms per cubic meter.

2. How do you calculate the density of an object?

To calculate the density of an object, you need to know its mass and volume. The formula for density is density = mass/volume. Make sure to use the appropriate units for both mass and volume in order to get the correct result.

3. Why is density an important property to measure?

Density is an important property because it can help us identify and classify different substances. It also gives us an idea of how compact or dense an object is, which can affect its physical properties such as buoyancy and strength.

4. What are some common units used for density?

Common units for density include grams per milliliter (g/mL), grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm^3), and kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m^3). These units can be converted to each other using simple conversion factors.

5. How does the density of an object affect its behavior in different environments?

The density of an object can affect its behavior in different environments in several ways. For example, objects with lower density than water will float, while objects with higher density will sink. Density also affects the rate at which an object will sink or float in a fluid, as well as its ability to withstand external forces such as compression or tension.