Calculate the Diffusion lengty

• Thread starter Elekko
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diffusion
Your Name]In summary, to determine the diffusion length (L) on a P+N diode with a dopant concentration (Nd) of 10^16 cm^-3 in the N region, we can use the equation L=sqrt(Dt) where t represents the time it takes for the diffusion process to occur. To find t, we can use the equation t = x^2/2D, where x is the distance the dopants have diffused and D is the diffusion coefficient. From there, we can plug in t to solve for L.
Elekko
I'm wondering how this actually can be solved since i think there is one piece missing.

Homework Statement

Determin the diffusion length L on a P+N diode with Nd = 10^16 cm^-3 in the N region.

Homework Equations

Known is that Diffusion length can be found from L=sqrt(Dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

As D = kT/q*u where u can be determined using a electron and hole mobility graph.
But now how can i find t?
It is not staded what t is.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you provide more information about the problem?

Thank you for your inquiry. I can see why there may be some confusion about finding the diffusion length in this scenario. The missing piece that you mentioned is actually the time (t) in the equation L=sqrt(Dt). In this case, t represents the time it takes for the diffusion process to occur.

To find t, we can use the equation t = x^2/2D, where x is the distance the dopants have diffused and D is the diffusion coefficient. In this problem, we are given the dopant concentration (Nd) and can use the diffusion coefficient for silicon (D = 10^-5 cm^2/s) to solve for t.

Once we have t, we can plug it into the equation L=sqrt(Dt) to find the diffusion length (L). I hope this helps clarify the process for finding the diffusion length in this scenario. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Best of luck with your calculations!

1. What is diffusion length?

Diffusion length refers to the average distance that a particle can travel through a medium before undergoing a significant change in direction or being absorbed by the medium.

2. How is diffusion length calculated?

Diffusion length can be calculated using the formula L = √(Dτ), where L is the diffusion length, D is the diffusion coefficient, and τ (tau) is the average lifetime of the particle in the medium.

3. What factors affect the diffusion length?

The diffusion length can be affected by factors such as the nature of the medium, temperature, pressure, and the concentration of particles. Additionally, the size and shape of the particles and the presence of any external forces can also impact the diffusion length.

4. Why is the diffusion length important in scientific research?

The diffusion length is an important parameter in understanding how particles move and interact within a medium. It is particularly relevant in the study of diffusion processes, chemical reactions, and particle transport in various materials. It can also provide insights into the properties of the medium itself.

5. Can diffusion length be measured experimentally?

Yes, diffusion length can be measured experimentally using various techniques such as light scattering, fluorescence microscopy, and electron microscopy. These methods allow for the visualization and measurement of particle movement and can provide valuable data on diffusion length.