1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the distance r where the electrostatic potential is zero between charges.

1. Jan 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    photobucket4_zps0655b6ef.jpg
    The diagram shows two charges, +4 μC and –16 μC, 120 mm apart. What is the distance from
    the +4 μC charge to the point between the two charges where the resultant electric potential is
    zero?
    A 24mm
    B 40mm
    C 80mm
    D 96mm

2. Relevant equations

potential equation

3. The attempt at a solution

photobucket3_zps880c633e.jpg
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The correct answer is a 24mm
    I get that we could simply use a 1:4 ratio and therefore r must be a fifth of the way from the 4 micro coulomb charge
    However when I try and equate the formula and solve algebraicaly I seem to get the wrong answer if I put in the sign of the charges.

So my question is why do we just use the magnitude of the charges?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Re: Calculate the distance r where the electrostatic potential is zero between charge

You seem to have written U1 = U2 when you should have used U1 + U2 = 0.

4. Jan 13, 2013 #3
    Re: Calculate the distance r where the electrostatic potential is zero between charge

Thank you, I am a fool
    I must take a break and do some maths in between my physics

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook