Calculate the distance traveled by 2 vehicles(reaching the same point)

In summary, the problem involves a speeding car traveling at 20 m/s and a police car traveling at 30 m/s 10 seconds later. Using the equations x=vt for both cars, a simultaneous equation can be solved to determine how far from the crossing the police car will catch the speeding car. The police car's equation is x=30t+300 because it starts 10 seconds later. By substituting t=0 into the equation, it is determined that the police car is already 300 meters away from the crossing when the offender is at the crossing.
iloveyourspam

Homework Statement

A car races past a pedestrian crossing at 20 m s-1 (which is well in excess of the speed limit); 10 seconds later a police car traveling at 30 m s-1 passes the pedestrian crossing in pursuit of the offender. Assuming that both cars maintain constant speeds, how far from the crossing will the police car catch the speeding car?

Homework Equations

I was thinking I would use x=vt ('x' being displacement) and solve using a simultaneous equation

The Attempt at a Solution

Speeding car:
x=20*t

Police car:
x=30*(t+10)
x=30t+300

I'm not sure where to go from here

Physics news on Phys.org
Why is it (t + 10) for the police car? What time does t = 0 correspond to?

I thought because the police car started 10 seconds after the offender you would do that. when t=0 the offender crosses the pedestrian crossing.

Substitute t = 0 into the equation for the police car. You get 300 m. Does that look right to you?

Ok I get why you didn't use the +10 but I'm still confused on the working out. How did you know it was 300m?

Since x = 30*(t + 10), substitute t = 0: x = 30*(0 + 10) = 30*10 = 300. The question is, is it correct that the police car is already 300 m away from the crossing in the positive direction when the offender is at the crossing, also moving in the positive direction?

1. How do you calculate the distance traveled by 2 vehicles reaching the same point?

The distance traveled by 2 vehicles reaching the same point can be calculated by finding the difference between their starting and ending positions. This can be done by subtracting the initial position of one vehicle from the final position of the other vehicle.

2. What information is needed to calculate the distance traveled by 2 vehicles?

In order to calculate the distance traveled by 2 vehicles, you will need to know the initial and final positions of both vehicles. This can be in the form of coordinates or distances in a given direction.

3. Can you use the same formula to calculate the distance traveled by 2 vehicles regardless of their starting positions?

Yes, the formula for calculating the distance traveled by 2 vehicles is independent of their starting positions. As long as you have the initial and final positions of both vehicles, the same formula can be applied.

4. Does the speed of the vehicles affect the calculation of distance traveled?

Yes, the speed of the vehicles does affect the calculation of distance traveled. The faster the vehicles are moving, the greater the distance traveled will be in the same amount of time.

5. Is the distance traveled by 2 vehicles always the same if they reach the same point?

No, the distance traveled by 2 vehicles reaching the same point can vary depending on their starting positions and the paths they take. Even if they end up at the same point, the distance traveled may differ.