Calculate the drag force but I dont know the drag coefficient?

In summary, The drag coefficient for a sphere can be found in a table or calculated using various formulas depending on the Reynolds number. The drag force equation is an approximation for high Reynolds number flow and may not give accurate results for low speed or high viscosity cases. The frontal area of the sphere should be used when calculating drag.
skaboy607
Hi

In a Drag problem, I'm trying to calculate the drag force but I don't know the drag coefficient? Is there any way to calculate it?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ok, I am trying to do a tutorial sheet on it, how do I calculate it say for sphere?

thanks

If you click the link there is a table that lists the Drag Coefficient for a sphere as [tex] C_d = 0.47[/tex]

Yea I have used that but it doesn't give me the required answer.

Do you mean how do you calculate that it is 0.47 for a sphere, or how do you calculate the drag for a sphere in given conditions?

The drag equation ( propertional Area * velocity^2) is an approximation for high Reynolds number flow (eg air) it isn't necessarily correct for low speed or high viscosity cases.

Using the Drag force equation I am trying the force on a sphere as it moves through an oil. The only unknown that I have is the drag coefficient? And if I use 0.47, it doesn't give me the right answer.

Thanks

mgb_phys said:
The drag equation ( propertional Area * velocity^2) is an approximation for high Reynolds number flow (eg air) it isn't necessarily correct for low speed or high viscosity cases.

The drag coefficient is quite a function of Reynolds, and potentially other factors. Man, I must be in a good mood today. Let's see what I can find. For REALLY low Reynolds numbers, (Re < 1), we have

[tex] C_f = \frac{24}{R^*} \left( 1 + \frac{3}{16}R^* - \frac{7k}{48}R^* \right)\,\,R^*=2R [/tex]
Not sure why it's written like that, but oh well. [tex]R\equiv [/tex] Reynolds number of course. [tex] k = V^* / U_\infty[/tex] where V* is the radial velocity of blowing through the surface...which I assume you can take to be zero in your case.

There is also a "famous" Oseen's (1910) drag coefficient forumula for a sphere in uniform stream:
[tex] C_D = \frac{24}{{Re}_D}\left(1+\frac{3}{16}{Re}_D\right)[/tex]

Stokes gave an exact solution in the limit as Re->0, such as creeping flow, where:
[tex] C_D = \frac{24}{{Re}_D}[/tex]
However, that's only valid where Reynolds is less than 0.2.

What type of Reynolds are you looking at?

Well I calculate my Reynolds number to be 9.9, the velocity of the sphere is 0.08m/s, the density is 850, diameter of the sphere is 14.7(10)^-3, and the viscosity is 0.1 which yields 9.996?

Also from the drag equation, where I use area, will it be the surface area of the sphere, i.e. d^2*pi.

Thanks

skaboy607 said:
Also from the drag equation, where I use area, will it be the surface area of the sphere, i.e. d^2*pi.

Thanks
The area you use is the frontal area, which is pi r^2 or (pi/4) d^2.

1. What is the drag force?

The drag force is a force that resists the motion of an object through a fluid, such as air or water. It is caused by the friction between the object and the fluid.

2. How is the drag force calculated?

The drag force is calculated using the equation Fd = 0.5 * ρ * v^2 * Cd * A, where ρ is the density of the fluid, v is the velocity of the object, Cd is the drag coefficient, and A is the cross-sectional area of the object.

3. What is the drag coefficient?

The drag coefficient is a dimensionless quantity that represents the amount of drag an object experiences in a fluid. It depends on the shape, size, and surface properties of the object, as well as the properties of the fluid.

4. How do you calculate the drag coefficient?

The drag coefficient can be determined experimentally by measuring the drag force and other parameters of the object and fluid, and then using the drag force equation to solve for Cd. It can also be estimated using theoretical models and simulations.

5. What factors affect the drag coefficient?

The drag coefficient is influenced by several factors, including the shape and size of the object, the surface properties of the object, the properties of the fluid, and the relative velocity between the object and the fluid. For example, a streamlined object will have a lower drag coefficient compared to a more blunt object of the same size. Similarly, a rough surface will have a higher drag coefficient compared to a smooth surface.