Calculate the EMF of the cell

• Thread starter moenste
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cell Emf
In summary: PD = EMF – (current x Thevenin resistance)In summary, the PD (potential difference) between the terminals of a cell is not always the same as its EMF (electromotive force) due to the internal resistance of the cell. The EMF is the open circuit terminal voltage of the battery, while the PD is what is measured under load conditions. The EMF can be conceptualized as an ideal voltage source in series with a Thevenin resistance, while the PD is the EMF minus the current multiplied by the Thevenin resistance.
moenste

Homework Statement

Explain why the PD between the terminals of a cell is not always the same as its EMF.

A cell, a resistor and an ammeter of negligible resistance are connected in series and a current of 0.80 A is observed to flow when the resistor has a value of 2.00 Ω. When a resistor of 5.00 Ω is connected in parallel with the 2.00 Ω resistor, the ammeter reading is 1.00 A. Calculate the EMF of the cell.

Answer: 2.29 V.

2. The attempt at a solution
I did a quick illustration of the problem, as I see it:

b76418c95b69.jpg

So, on the first (I) graph we have V = I R = 0.8 * 2 = 1.6 V. Second (II): we find the resistance 1 / R = 1 / 2 + 1 / 5 → R = 1.43 Ω. So V = I R = 1 * 1.43 = 1.43 V.

I guess it has something to do with the cell and EMF differences. As far as I know, their difference is in the fact that PD is work done to move a charge between two points in a circuit and EMF is the total work done to move charge throught a complete circuit. And the formula is also different: V = I R, (R = total resistance), E = I (R + r), (R + r) = total external and internal resistance.

What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember another thread when you were looking into the behavior of a "real" diode that wasn't an ideal diode? What distinguished that "real" diode from an ideal one?

Likes moenste
gneill said:
Remember another thread when you were looking into the behavior of a "real" diode that wasn't an ideal diode? What distinguished that "real" diode from an ideal one?
An "ideal" diode has a resistor, right?

moenste said:
An "ideal" diode has a resistor, right?
No, the opposite. An ideal diode has no resistance at all when it is conducting; That's what makes it ideal: It's a perfect "one-way-valve" for current. A real diode exhibits resistance because it's comprised of real-world, imperfect materials.

But you're on the right track now.

Likes moenste
gneill said:
No, the opposite. An ideal diode has no resistance at all when it is conducting; That's what makes it ideal: It's a perfect "one-way-valve" for current. A real diode exhibits resistance because it's comprised of real-world, imperfect materials.

But you're on the right track now.
Hm, but we don't have a diode here, do we? A cell is a basic battery and we have a resistor with an ammeter. Is my quick graph incorrect?

moenste said:
Hm, but we don't have a diode here, do we? A cell is a basic battery and we have a resistor with an ammeter. Is my quick graph incorrect?
I'm trying to point out that real world components (all of them) have flaws that when examined closely make them non-ideal. Even batteries. Your diagrams are fine.

What you need to do is account for the possibility that the battery is not an ideal component.

Likes moenste
gneill said:
I'm trying to point out that real world components (all of them) have flaws that when examined closely make them non-ideal. Even batteries. Your diagrams are fine.

What you need to do is account for the possibility that the battery is not an ideal component.
Hm, I think I got your point. But what in this situation can have flaws? Regarding the ammeter we have this line:
moenste said:
an ammeter of negligible resistance

moenste said:
Hm, I think I got your point. But what in this situation can have flaws? Regarding the ammeter we have this line:

So you can ignore the ammeter. What's left?

Likes moenste
moenste said:
Explain why the PD between the terminals of a cell
moenste said:
But what in this situation can have flaws?
The battery is non-ideal. You should consider its internal resistance.

Likes moenste
gneill said:
So you can ignore the ammeter. What's left?
As cnh1995 pointed out it's the battery (and as you also suggested with your:
gneill said:
Even batteries.
).

cnh1995 said:
The battery is non-ideal. You should consider its internal resistance.
So the PD of a cell is considered to be an ideal case while the EMF is not ideal. This is the case with:
moenste said:
Explain why the PD between the terminals of a cell is not always the same as its EMF.
?

---

E = I (R + r)

Let's find r, the internal resistance: 0.80 A (2.00 Ω + r) = 1.00 A (1.42857 Ω + r) → r = 0.857 Ω.

Plug it in: E = 0.80 A (2.00 Ω + 0.857 Ω) = 2.29 V.

moenste said:
So the PD of a cell is considered to be an ideal case while the EMF is not ideal
Emf is the open circuit terminal voltage of the battery. If Pd=Emf for any value of current, that would be an ideal case.
moenste said:
Let's find r, the internal resistance: 0.80 A (2.00 Ω + r) = 1.00 A (1.42857 Ω + r) → r = 0.857 Ω.

Plug it in: E = 0.80 A (2.00 Ω + 0.857 Ω) = 2.29 V.
Right.

moenste said:
So the PD of a cell is considered to be an ideal case...
The voltage of a cell when no current is being drawn is sometimes called the Thevenin voltage. A cell can be conceptualized as an ideal* voltage source in series with a Thevenin resistance.

* Voltage doesn’t drop under load.

Last edited:
Likes moenste
upload_2016-10-2_12-50-43.png

Likes moenste
David Lewis said:
The voltage of a cell when no current is being drawn is sometimes called the Thevenin voltage. A cell can be conceptualized as an ideal voltage source in series with a Thevenin resistance.
gneill said:
So the PD is the EMF + internal resistance, while the EMF is just voltage?

The PD is what you would measure at the terminals of the battery under whatever load conditions there might be. It varies with the load (amount of current being drawn).

The EMF is the potential difference that is attributed to the underlying source of electric potential. Typically it is a chemical cell of some sort whose reactions separate charges to some fixed potential difference. It's what you would measure for the PD when there is no load (no current).

Likes moenste
moenste said:
So the PD is the EMF + internal resistance, while the EMF is just voltage?

PD = EMF + internal resistance does not pass dimensional analysis muster:
(voltage = voltage + resistance).
All terms in an equation must be the same physical quantity:
PD = EMF – (current x Thevenin resistance)

Likes moenste

1. What is the formula for calculating the EMF of a cell?

The formula for calculating the EMF (electromotive force) of a cell is: EMF = E(cell) - E(external), where E(cell) is the potential difference of the cell and E(external) is the potential difference of the external circuit.

2. What is the unit of measurement for EMF?

The unit of measurement for EMF is volts (V). This measures the potential difference or electric potential between two points.

3. How do I measure the potential difference of a cell?

The potential difference of a cell can be measured using a voltmeter. Connect the positive end of the voltmeter to the positive terminal of the cell and the negative end to the negative terminal. The reading on the voltmeter will be the potential difference of the cell.

4. What factors can affect the EMF of a cell?

The EMF of a cell can be affected by factors such as temperature, concentration of electrolytes, and electrode materials. Changes in these factors can lead to changes in the potential difference of the cell.

5. How is the EMF of a cell related to its ability to do work?

The EMF of a cell is directly proportional to its ability to do work. The higher the EMF, the more energy the cell can provide to the external circuit. This is because EMF represents the force that drives the flow of electrons through the circuit, which is necessary for work to be done.