Calculate the energy and wavelength of the photon

In summary, the question involves calculating the energy and wavelength of a photon emitted when an atom with an energy level 1.8 eV above ground state returns to the ground state. The formula E = hf = h*c/l can be used, along with the conversion of 1 eV to 1.6x10^-19 Joules.
shezill
this was a question in a prevoius year exam that I am really stuck on.

An atom has an energy level 1.8 eV above ground state. When excited, it returns to the ground state and emits a photon. Ccalculate the energy and wavelength of the photon.

help me please
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't seem very difficult...

Energy of photon = energy lost by electron as it goes down the energy level.

Also, E = hf = h*c/l

Plug in the numbers...

And don't forget that 1 eV = 1.6 * 10^-19 J

Last edited:
but what numbers do i plug in. Do i have to use a fomula on the 1.8eV first to get the numbers or just use that.

Originally posted by shezill
but what numbers do i plug in. Do i have to use a fomula on the 1.8eV first to get the numbers or just use that.

1 eV = 1.6x10^-19 Joules

Convert it to Jays.

thank you very much

1. How do you calculate the energy of a photon?

The energy of a photon can be calculated using the formula E = hν, where E is the energy in joules, h is Planck's constant (6.626 x 10^-34 J*s), and ν is the frequency of the photon in hertz.

2. How do you calculate the wavelength of a photon?

The wavelength of a photon can be calculated using the formula λ = c/ν, where λ is the wavelength in meters, c is the speed of light (3.00 x 10^8 m/s), and ν is the frequency of the photon in hertz.

3. What units are used to measure the energy of a photon?

The energy of a photon is typically measured in joules (J), but it can also be expressed in electron volts (eV) or kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol).

4. How does the energy of a photon relate to its wavelength?

The energy of a photon is inversely proportional to its wavelength. This means that as the energy of a photon increases, its wavelength decreases, and vice versa.

5. How do you convert between different units of energy and wavelength for a photon?

To convert between different units of energy for a photon, you can use conversion factors such as 1 eV = 1.602 x 10^-19 J and 1 kJ/mol = 6.022 x 10^23 eV. To convert between units of wavelength, you can use the formula λ (in nm) = 1240/E (in eV), where E is the energy of the photon in eV.