Calculate the energy of the electron in a non-H like atom

In summary, the energy of an electron in a non-H like atom can be calculated using the Rydberg formula, which takes into account the atomic number, principal quantum number, and effective nuclear charge. This formula allows for the determination of the energy level and corresponding energy of an electron in any atom, regardless of the number of electrons or their distribution in the atom's orbitals. Additionally, the energy of an electron can also be calculated using the Bohr formula, which uses the distance between the electron and the nucleus, as well as the atomic number and Planck's constant. Both of these formulas are essential in understanding the electronic structure and behavior of atoms.
jorgeha
Hello mates. I was doing some research about Rydberg atoms, and I came up with this question: what's the energy of an electron in n energy level in an atom which is NOT hydrogen-like, that is, an atom with more than 1 electron? How can we calculate it?
What if the electron we are studying is in a much higher energy level (Rydberg energy level) and the others are in the lowest posible? What if we have an excited electron apart of the one we are studying?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
jorgeha said:
How can we calculate it?

Numerically or approximately. It does not have an exact solution. Note that you have 3 or more bodies here, and that doesn't even have a classical solution.

Vanadium 50 said:
Numerically or approximately. It does not have an exact solution. Note that you have 3 or more bodies here, and that doesn't even have a classical solution.
I was asking for a numerical calculation. I guessed it could only be an approximate answer but I didn't know to what extent. I'd like the most exact approach possible, if you could lead me to some articles or books about these calculations I would be grateful. Thanks.

If one of the electrons has a position distribution where it's at a much longer average distance from the nucleus than the others, I think it will effectively see the nucleus as a point charge of +1e because of the screening by the other electrons. Another way to obtain the same effect is to make a "helium atom" where one of the orbiting particles is an electron and the other a muon (the muon will have a much smaller "orbit radius" because of its large mass compared to the electron).

hilbert2 said:
If one of the electrons has a position distribution where it's at a much longer average distance from the nucleus than the others, I think it will effectively see the nucleus as a point charge of +1e because of the screening by the other electrons. Another way to obtain the same effect is to make a "helium atom" where one of the orbiting particles is an electron and the other a muon (the muon will have a much smaller "orbit radius" because of its large mass compared to the electron).
Yes, the core is taken into account then via some "quantum defect": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_defect

Likes hilbert2
I remember some perturbation calculations in a quantum chemistry homework where we had to estimate the effect of the finite size of the nucleus by assuming that the nucleus is a small sphere that contains a constant positive charge density. Then the potential inside the nucleus was calculated with Gauss's law. A core that contains both positive and negative charge is probably not very different.

1. What is the equation for calculating the energy of an electron in a non-H like atom?

The equation for calculating the energy of an electron in a non-H like atom is given by the Rydberg formula: En = -R/n2, where R is the Rydberg constant and n is the principal quantum number.

2. How is the energy of an electron in a non-H like atom different from that of a hydrogen atom?

The energy of an electron in a non-H like atom is different from that of a hydrogen atom because it takes into account the presence of other electrons in the atom. These electrons create a shielding effect, reducing the effective nuclear charge and causing the energy levels to shift.

3. Can the energy of an electron in a non-H like atom be negative?

Yes, the energy of an electron in a non-H like atom can be negative. This indicates that the electron is bound to the nucleus and is in a lower energy state than if it were at infinity (i.e. free). A negative energy also means that work must be done to remove the electron from the atom.

4. How does the energy of an electron change as the principal quantum number increases?

As the principal quantum number increases, the energy of an electron in a non-H like atom becomes more negative. This means that the electron is more tightly bound to the nucleus and is in a lower energy state. The energy difference between successive energy levels also decreases as n increases.

5. What factors affect the energy of an electron in a non-H like atom?

The energy of an electron in a non-H like atom is affected by several factors, including the nuclear charge, the number of electrons in the atom, and the orbital in which the electron is located. Other factors such as spin and magnetic field can also influence the energy of an electron in a non-H like atom.