Calculate the energy required

• Thread starter utkarshakash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the task is to calculate the energy required to bring a small test charge q from infinity to the apex A of a cone with a slope of length L, given that the cone is made of an insulating material and has a total charge Q spread uniformly over its sloping surface. The method involves finding the potential energy of the system and parametrizing the surface and its distance to the apex. Additional variables can be introduced to account for missing data. The expression for differential area (dA) is also needed.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A cone made of an insulating material has a total charge Q spread uniformly over its sloping surface. Calculate the energy required to bring a small test charge q from infinity to the apex A of the cone. The cone has a slope of length L.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since work done equals change in P.E so I have to find the P.E of the system.
Suppose at a distance x from A I take an elementary cylinder of length dx. Let charge density be σ.
dQ=σdV

Wait! I don't know PE of disc and this seems an extremely time consuming process to me. Is there any other method?

Physics news on Phys.org
The charge is present at the surface of the cone only. For the apex, there is a nice way to parametrize the surface and its distance to the apex.

utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

A cone made of an insulating material has a total charge Q spread uniformly over its sloping surface. Calculate the energy required to bring a small test charge q from infinity to the apex A of the cone. The cone has a slope of length L.

Don't we also need to know the largest diameter?

rude man said:
Don't we also need to know the largest diameter?
No. Consider a circular element at distance r from the apex. If you vary the angle of the cone, that element moves around but stays the same distance r from the apex and carries the same fraction of the total area, hence the same charge. Thus the potential it generates at the apex is independent of the cone angle.

mfb said:
The charge is present at the surface of the cone only. For the apex, there is a nice way to parametrize the surface and its distance to the apex.

Can you tell me what is it?

Use anything (linear) you like, it will probably work.

mfb said:
Use anything (linear) you like, it will probably work.

Ok so I take an elementary ring at a distance x from the apex along the surface of cone. Is it alright?

mfb said:
Just go on and test it?

But nothing other than slope length L is given. I'm falling short of data. Even the radius is not given.

Just introduce additional variables, if you like. If they drop out later (they should do this here), everything is fine again.

utkarshakash said:
But nothing other than slope length L is given. I'm falling short of data. Even the radius is not given.

What is the expression for differential area (dA) ?

1. What is the formula for calculating energy required?

The formula for calculating energy required is: Energy (E) = Mass (m) x Acceleration (a) x Distance (d).

2. How do you convert units when calculating energy required?

To convert units when calculating energy required, you can use the following conversions: 1 kilogram (kg) = 1000 grams (g); 1 meter (m) = 100 centimeters (cm); and 1 joule (J) = 1000 millijoules (mJ).

3. What is the difference between potential and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or shape, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. Both types of energy are measured in joules (J).

4. Can you calculate energy required without knowing the distance?

No, in order to calculate the energy required, you need to know the distance the object will travel. This is because distance is a crucial factor in determining the amount of energy needed to move an object.

5. How can calculating energy required be useful in real life?

Calculating energy required can be useful in many real-life situations, such as designing roller coasters, determining the amount of energy needed for a car to travel a certain distance, or estimating the amount of energy needed to power a household. It is also an important concept in the study of physics and engineering.