Calculate the expected value

In summary: In this case, the parentheses are actually unnecessary and mess up the LaTeX. But I'll leave them in since I wrote this before I realized that.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of LaTeX to format equations and expressions in a readable format. The speaker encourages the use of the LaTeX guide and provides an example of how to use it. They also mention the necessity of using the delta symbol and provide an example of how to format it. The conversation also includes a question about a specific equation and the correct LaTeX syntax for it. The expert summarizer provides the correct equation and explains the use of "\left" and "\right" for stretchy brackets.
RealKiller69
Homework Statement
Calculate. <2,0,0|&(x)P_z+P_z&(x)|2,1,0>
Where |n,l,m> are the hydrogen atom eigenstates, &(x) is dirac delta and x is the position operator . It should be -iħ/(16pia_0^4) a_0=ħ^2/me^2 .
Relevant Equations
Not many
15745216454334312777540192084427.jpg

My solution is not the same, it has an additional *2 factor and i can't see any mistakes.

Physics news on Phys.org
You may be lucky and find someone who can spot the mistake in that lot. It's practically illegible to me, I'm sorry to say.

At the very least, you could write out legibly what you've got - or, ideally, learn Latex:

https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

I will chime into say yes, please use the LaTeX guide to format your question in readable format. That doesn't describe every LaTeX feature, but most of what you need to ask your question. But also to give some examples. It's not that hard to learn.

Here is your question with the LaTeX.

Calculate. <2,0,0|&(x)P_z+P_z&(x)|2,1,0>

Use \delta for a lower case ##\delta## symbol. The rest of that expression will work as is. Embed it between ##\text{##}## symbols to invoke the LaTeX interpreter. Thus, you would type this:
##\text{##}##<2,0,0|\delta(x)P_z+P_z \delta(x)|2,1,0>##\text{##}##
to get this:
##<2,0,0|\delta(x)P_z+P_z \delta(x)|2,1,0>##

It should be -iħ/(16pia_0^4) a_0=ħ^2/me^2

Is that all meant to be one equation? Perhaps this one?
##\left [ -i \hbar / (16 \pi a_0^4) \right ] a_0 = \hbar^2 / me^2##
Again, what you wrote is almost correct LaTeX syntax. The LaTeX looks like this:
##\#\### \left [ -i \hbar / (16 \pi a_0^4) \right ] a_0 = \hbar^2 / me^2##\#\###

Prefixing brackets with "\left" and "\right" creates stretchy brackets that stretch vertically enough to match whatever is inside.

What is the definition of expected value?

The expected value is a measure of the average outcome of a probability distribution. It is calculated by multiplying each possible outcome by its probability and then summing all of these values.

Why is expected value important?

Expected value is important because it helps us make decisions under uncertainty. It allows us to estimate the potential outcomes of a situation and make informed choices based on these estimates.

How is expected value calculated?

To calculate expected value, you multiply each possible outcome by its probability and then sum all of these values. This formula can be written as E(X) = ΣxP(x), where E(X) is the expected value, x is a possible outcome, and P(x) is the probability of that outcome.

What is the difference between expected value and actual value?

The expected value is a theoretical concept that represents the average outcome of a probability distribution. It is based on probabilities and does not necessarily reflect the actual outcome. Actual value, on the other hand, is the observed outcome of an event or experiment.

Can expected value be negative?

Yes, expected value can be negative. This can occur when calculating the expected value of a gamble or investment with a negative return. However, a negative expected value indicates that the gamble or investment is not a good choice and should be avoided.