Calculate the forward driving force which accelerates the car down the slope.

In summary, when resolving a vector in two mutually perpendicular directions, we can accurately calculate the components without interfering with each other's direction. This is why the 760N vector is resolved into its perpendicular components when calculating the forward driving force on a 6.8 degree inclined plane. This allows us to accurately determine the component of the weight that acts down the slope, which is necessary for understanding the acceleration of objects on an inclined plane.
DeathKnight
There is a 760N heavy car on a plane which is inclined to the horizontal at an angle of 6.8 degrees. Calculate the forward driving force which accelerates the car down the slope.
I know the answer is 760sin6.8. I know that the forward driving force has a direction which is parallel to the slope.The thing I want to know is why the 760N vector is resolved into its perpendicular component? We can have an infinite no. of pairs of components in which one of the component has a direction which is parallel to slope.
why can't we resolve it like that:

|*... unknown vector parallel to the slope
|...*
|...*
|_________*. <-----------This angle is 6.8deg.
unknown vector pointing towards left

I hope that you guys understand what I am saying. Thanks in advance for any help.

:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I have alwasy been unable to add diagrams so I am going to try and explain it.

Imagine a plane (6.8 degrees to the horizontal) and the horizontal plane itself. Now imagine the weight from the car (represented as an arrow from the car - perpendicular to the horizontal plane). The horizontal plane and the weight arrow will form a right angle. You want to know the component of the weight that acts down the slope. Imagine that the weight arrow is the hypotenuse of another triangle. Another of the sides is perpendicular to the inclined plane (and comes from the same point as the weight arrow). Then join the two so that you have a right-angled triangle. The angles will means that you will work out the side that joins the two you know (e.g. the line parallel to the inclined plane). Work this side out for 760 sin 6.8.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Whenever you put something on the slope (light enough for the slope to support, otherwise the slope will be broken), you will see it accelerates down. Because the (frictionless) slope can only exert a force that is perpendicular to its surface. So it will cancel out the perpendicular force to its surface. And the force that's parallel to its surface remains intact (this force will accelerate the object down the slope). That's why you must break the [tex]\vec{P}[/tex] into 2 forces.
Hope you get it,
Viet Dao,

Last edited:
If I got your problem correectly you want to know that why we resolve a vector in two mutually perpendicular direction, not in the directions making acute or obyuse angle...right?

[q is for theeta]

We know that the projection (effectiveness) of a vector A in a direction making angle q is A*cos q which is zero if q is 90. thus we take the components in the direction q and 90 - q i.e. A*cos q and A*cos (90 - q) [=A*sin q] so that both components have no effect in each other's direction, otherwise we have to take component of other component in that direction.

1. What is the forward driving force?

The forward driving force is the force that propels a car down a slope. It is the combination of the force of gravity and the force of the car's engine or motor.

2. How is the forward driving force calculated?

The forward driving force can be calculated by multiplying the car's mass by its acceleration. This calculation takes into account the force of gravity and the force of the car's engine or motor.

3. What is the significance of the forward driving force?

The forward driving force is significant because it determines the speed at which a car will travel down a slope. A larger forward driving force will result in a faster speed, while a smaller force will result in a slower speed.

4. How does the slope of the road affect the forward driving force?

The slope of the road plays a crucial role in determining the forward driving force. A steeper slope will result in a greater force of gravity, which will increase the overall forward driving force. On the other hand, a shallower slope will result in a smaller force of gravity and a lower forward driving force.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the forward driving force?

Yes, there are a few other factors that can affect the forward driving force. These include the friction between the car's tires and the road, air resistance, and any additional external forces acting on the car, such as wind or inclines on the slope.