Calculate the fraction of power generated that is lost in the lines

AK.In summary, the fraction of power generated that is lost in the transmission lines is 5.9%. This is calculated by using the formula I^2R, where I is the current and R is the resistance of the lines. The voltage drop is calculated to be 2666.67 V, resulting in a power loss of 1.78 MW or 5.9% of the total power generated.
joej
If 30 MW of power at 45kV (rms) arrives at a town from a generator via 4-ohm transmission lines, calculate the fraction of power generated that is lost in the lines.

okay I think I'm not completely understanding what I'm supposed to do in this question, or I'm missing something as from my calculations there is more than 100% power loss

P/V = I

30,000,000W/45,000V = 666.7 A

Pl = I^2 x R

666.7^2 x 4 = 1777955.56V = 1778kV

probably something completely stupid that I'm doing here so would appreciate it if someone can set me straight, thnx

----edit-----

sorry stupidity strikes again... forgot that the power lost comes out in W not V

:yuck: duh! sorry again, it's fine now

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
more than 100% power loss

% Power loss = 1778/30 000 * 100 = 5.9 %

Gamma.

joej said:
If 30 MW of power at 45kV (rms) arrives at a town from a generator via 4-ohm transmission lines, calculate the fraction of power generated that is lost in the lines.

okay I think I'm not completely understanding what I'm supposed to do in this question, or I'm missing something as from my calculations there is more than 100% power loss
Power loss is in Watts not volts. [itex]I^2R = V_{drop}^2/R[/itex] gives you the power loss in watts. I prefer to work with the voltage drop. So:

Voltage drop is IR = 666.7 x 4 = 2666.67 V.

(ie. the voltage drops to 42333.3 volts at the town). So the power lost in the lines is 2666.67^2/4 = 1.78E6 Watts or 1.78 MW. As a fraction of the total power the line loss is 1.78/30 = 5.9%

AM

1. What is the purpose of calculating the fraction of power lost in transmission lines?

The purpose of this calculation is to determine the efficiency of the power transmission system. This information is important for making improvements and adjustments to the system in order to minimize power loss and increase energy efficiency.

2. How is the fraction of power lost in transmission lines calculated?

The fraction of power lost can be calculated by dividing the amount of power lost in transmission by the total power generated. This can be represented as a percentage or decimal value.

3. What factors contribute to power loss in transmission lines?

Power loss in transmission lines can be caused by factors such as resistance in the wires, distance traveled, and environmental conditions. Other factors may include the type and condition of the transmission equipment, as well as the load on the system.

4. Are there any methods to reduce power loss in transmission lines?

Yes, there are several methods to reduce power loss in transmission lines. These include using higher voltage transmission lines, implementing new technologies such as superconductors, and improving the design and maintenance of the transmission system.

5. How is the calculated fraction of power lost used in the energy industry?

The calculated fraction of power lost is used by energy companies to monitor the efficiency of their power transmission systems. It can also be used to identify areas for improvement and make adjustments to increase energy efficiency and reduce costs.