How many grams of iron can be produced from 14.0g of Al and excess Fe3O4?

• Thread starter yuuri14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iron
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the amount of iron that can be produced when 14.0g of Al reacts with an excess of Fe3 O4. The balanced reaction is 8Al(s) + 3Fe3 O4 = 9Fe (s) + 4Al2 O3(s) and the necessary ratios can be found from this. There is no net ionic reaction and the stoichiometry involves finding the moles of Al and determining the moles of iron produced per mole of Al.
yuuri14

Homework Statement

Al(s) + Fe3 O4 = Fe (s) + Al2 O3(s)
calculate how many grams of iron can be produced when 14.0g of Al are combined with excess FeO4.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I need to balance the solution which is:
8Al(s) + 3Fe3 O4 = 9Fe (s) + 4Al2 O3(s)

net/ionic eq

8al + 3fe3o4 = 9fe + 4al2 o3

can someone please help me on this I can't get any further on finding the excess on using the net or balance ionic equation. I can't really cancel any out that are the same on both side. please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the number of MOLES of Aluminum. Find the other necessary ratios from your balanced reaction.

There is no net ionic reaction here (it is not happening in the solution and neither of the substances is dissociated) and the one you have is properly balanced.

Simple stoichiometry now - how many moles of Al? How many moles of iron produced per mole of Al?

--

1. How do you calculate the gram of iron?

To calculate the gram of iron, you can use the formula: mass = density x volume. First, determine the density of iron, which is 7.87 g/cm3. Then, measure the volume of the iron object in cubic centimeters. Multiply the density by the volume to get the mass in grams.

2. What is the density of iron?

The density of iron is 7.87 g/cm3. This means that for every cubic centimeter of iron, it has a mass of 7.87 grams.

3. What is the volume of iron?

The volume of iron can vary depending on the shape and size of the object. To determine the volume, you can measure the length, width, and height of the object and multiply them together. Alternatively, you can also measure the displacement of water when the iron object is submerged in a graduated cylinder.

4. Can you calculate the gram of iron using a different unit of measurement?

Yes, you can calculate the gram of iron using other units of measurement. For example, if the mass is given in kilograms and the volume is given in cubic meters, you can convert them to grams and cubic centimeters respectively and use the same formula: mass = density x volume.

5. Why is it important to calculate the gram of iron?

Calculating the gram of iron is important for various purposes, such as in manufacturing and construction industries where precise measurements are necessary. It is also useful in scientific research and experiments, as well as for determining the weight and mass of objects for transportation or shipping purposes.