Calculate the Initial Calue of the Force at the Bearing

In summary, the question asks for the initial value of the force exerted by the bearing on a uniform slender bar that is released from rest in the horizontal position and swings freely in the vertical plane. Using the equation ƩMO = IGα + maGd and solving for α, the formula Oy = mr[-mg(0.5L)/Ig] + mg is derived. Plugging in the given values, the final answer is 88.29 N.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

The uniform slender bar is pivoted at and swings freely in the vertical plane. If the bar is released from rest in the horizontal position, calculate the initial value of the force exerted by the bearing on the bar an instant after release.

I have attached an image of the question

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm honestly not sure how to start this question. I'm pretty sure that this is a straightforward question

I think I may need to use the equation:

ƩMO = IGα + maGd

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• dyn 6.033.png
    dyn 6.033.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 991
Physics news on Phys.org
Ahh, wait I've figure it out now.

I used the fact that:

ƩMO: IGα = -mg(L/2)

Solving for α = -mg(0.5L)/IG

where L is the length of the bar

Then I applied a normal and tangential coordinate system, with t pointing downwards and n pointing towards O.

ƩFt: mrα = Oy - mg

Plugging in the formula that I solved for α above I get

Oy = mr[-mg(0.5L)/Ig] + mg

My final answer was 88.29 N

1. What is the purpose of calculating the initial value of force at the bearing?

The initial value of force at the bearing is used to determine the amount of force that is initially applied to a bearing. This is important for understanding the load and stress on the bearing, which can affect its durability and performance.

2. What factors are involved in calculating the initial value of force at the bearing?

The initial value of force at the bearing is dependent on several factors, including the weight of the load, the speed and direction of the bearing, the angle of the bearing, and the type of bearing being used.

3. How is the initial value of force at the bearing calculated?

The initial value of force at the bearing can be calculated using the formula F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the load, and a is the acceleration of the bearing. This formula takes into account the weight and speed of the load, as well as the direction and angle of the bearing.

4. Why is it important to accurately calculate the initial value of force at the bearing?

Accurately calculating the initial value of force at the bearing is important for ensuring the safety and reliability of the bearing. If the initial force is too high, it can cause damage to the bearing or other components of the machine. If it is too low, the bearing may not be able to properly support the load, leading to potential failures.

5. Are there any tools or software available to assist with calculating the initial value of force at the bearing?

Yes, there are various tools and software available that can help with calculating the initial value of force at the bearing. These include bearing load calculators, simulation software, and engineering calculators. It is important to use a reliable and accurate tool to ensure the correct calculation of the initial force at the bearing.