What is the Fourier Transform of a Rectangular Function?

• Thread starter Denver Dang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the student is trying to solve a homework problem involving the integrals f(x) = sin(x)/x and f(x) = sqrt(pi/2). They are not sure how to do it and are looking for help. The student has been told to look at Plancherel's theorem, but they are still confused.
Denver Dang

Homework Statement

1) Calculate the integral:
[tex]$\int_{-\infty }^{\infty }{{{\left( \frac{\sin \left( x \right)}{x} \right)}^{2}}dx}$[/tex]

2) Calculate the integral:
[tex]$\int_{-\infty }^{\infty }{{{\left( \frac{1-\cos \left( \lambda \pi \right)}{{{\lambda }^{2}}} \right)}^{2}}d\lambda }$[/tex]

Homework Equations

I think it has to be solved with finding the Fourier transform or something. I'm not quite sure...

The Attempt at a Solution

?
Well, I really don't know where to start.

Help ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to use contour integration in the complex plane:

Choose a closed contour part of which runs from negitive infinity to possitive infinity on the real axis. Then use either the 'Cauchy Integral Formula' or the 'Residue Theorm' to integrate the function over your chosen contour. Details of these methods given here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methods_of_contour_integration.

Last edited:
Hmmm, these questions are from a Fourier analysis course. I have never heard of what you have described above :)

Denver Dang said:
Hmmm, these questions are from a Fourier analysis course. I have never heard of what you have described above :)

You'll need to learn it. You need the residue theorem to calculate a lot of Fourier integrals. For the first one you want to replace the z^2 in the denominator with (z-ie)^2 where e>0 to move the pole off the real axis. Then take the limit e->0 at the end. Similar trick for the second one.

Hmmm... It just seems weird that my teacher wants me to figure out a new integrating trick on my own ?

Is that really the other way to solve it ?
I've been told, as a hint, to look at Plancherels Formula. And then I could neglect the squared paranthes around the whole function, because the inner product would give the same.

'Cause I don't know about you're way you do it - even though it might be smart :)

Denver Dang said:
Hmmm... It just seems weird that my teacher wants me to figure out a new integrating trick on my own ?

Is that really the other way to solve it ?
I've been told, as a hint, to look at Plancherels Formula. And then I could neglect the squared paranthes around the whole function, because the inner product would give the same.

'Cause I don't know about you're way you do it - even though it might be smart :)

That is a good hint to avoid the residue stuff. Did you look at look at Plancherel's theorem? Any thoughts on how to use it?

Not much really...

It states:

Suppose f and g are square integrable. Then

[tex]$<F\left[ f \right],F\left[ g \right]{{>}_{{{L}^{2}}}}=\,<f,g{{>}_{{{L}^{2}}}}$[/tex]

[tex]${{\left\langle {{F}^{-1}}\left[ f \right],{{F}^{-1}}\left[ g \right] \right\rangle }_{{{L}^{2}}}}={{\left\langle f,g \right\rangle }_{{{L}^{2}}}}$[/tex]

(The symbol in the start is suppose to be <. Don't know why it wouldn't write it out.)

In particular,

[tex]\[{{\left\| F\left[ f \right] \right\|}_{{{L}^{2}}}}={{\left\| f \right\|}_{{{L}^{2}}}}\][/tex]

So as I said, since we take the inner product, we can neglect the squared paranthes, and then do <f,f> and <g,g> and get the same as if they were squared.

But besides that, I'm pretty much clueless tbh...

Last edited:
Denver Dang said:
Hmmm, why won't it write my LaTex :'(

I'm not sure. But your first integral is the L^2 norm of the function f(x)=sin(x)/x. If you could figure out what the Fourier transform of f(x) is, it might be easier to find the L^2 norm of that instead of the original function.

Hmmm, the integral of f(x) is sqrt(pi/2) ?

Denver Dang said:
Hmmm, the integral of f(x) is sqrt(pi/2) ?

Why would you say that? Are you guessing?

Well, I kinda looked it up :) But I'm not even sure that's right...

I'm not really quite sure how to do it. As far as I can see the indefinite integral of just sin(x)/x = x - x^3/(3*3!) + x^5/(5*5!)...
And then when I have to involve e*(-i*n*x) as well, I really get confused :S
Is integration by parts still an option when there is 3 "parts" ?

Denver Dang said:
Well, I kinda looked it up :) But I'm not even sure that's right...

I'm not really quite sure how to do it. As far as I can see the indefinite integral of just sin(x)/x = x - x^3/(3*3!) + x^5/(5*5!)...
And then when I have to involve e*(-i*n*x) as well, I really get confused :S
Is integration by parts still an option when there is 3 "parts" ?

You are missing the Plancherel's clue. What's the Fourier transform of sin(x)/x?? This is a Fourier course, right? Hunt around a little in the course material.

Hmmm, the clue being that the Fourier transform F[f] is equal the function f ?
If not, how am I suppose to find the Fourier transform, when it's actually what I'm asking help to find ? :)

Denver Dang said:
Hmmm, the clue being that the Fourier transform F[f] is equal the function f ?
If not, how am I suppose to find the Fourier transform, when it's actually what I'm asking help to find ? :)

No, no, no. F(f) is not equal to f. The L^2 norm of the two is equal. Define f(x)=1 if -1<=x<=1 and f(x)=0 otherwise. Can you find the Fourier transform of f(x)?

1. What is the purpose of calculating integrals?

The purpose of calculating integrals is to find the area under a curve, which is useful in many real-world applications such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can also be used to solve problems involving rates of change, such as velocity and acceleration.

2. How do you calculate integrals?

Integrals can be calculated using various methods, such as the fundamental theorem of calculus, integration by substitution, integration by parts, and numerical methods. The most common method is using the fundamental theorem of calculus, which involves finding the antiderivative of the function and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of integration.

3. What are the different types of integrals?

The two main types of integrals are definite integrals and indefinite integrals. Definite integrals have specific upper and lower limits of integration and give a numerical value, while indefinite integrals do not have limits and give a general expression for the antiderivative of a function.

4. How can I check if my answer for a calculated integral is correct?

You can check your answer by taking the derivative of the antiderivative you found. If the result matches the original function, then your answer is correct. You can also use online integrals calculators or check with a trusted source, such as a math teacher or textbook.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for calculating integrals?

There are some common integration formulas, such as the power rule, trigonometric identities, and logarithm rules, that can be used to simplify the integration process. It is also helpful to memorize some common integrals, such as the integral of e^x and sinx, to save time during calculations. However, there is no one-size-fits-all shortcut for calculating integrals, and practice and understanding of the concepts are the best ways to improve your integration skills.