1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the latent heat

1. Jun 9, 2013 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm stuck in the following problem: In a particular solid-liquid phase transition the point ##T_0##, ##P_0## lies on the coexistence curve. The latent heat of vaporization at this point is ##l_0##. A nearby point on the existence curve has pressure ##P_0+p## and temperature ##T_0+t##; the local slope of the coexistence curve in the P-T plane is p/t. Assuming ##v##, ##c_p##, ##\alpha## and ##\kappa _T## to be known in each phase in the vicinty of the states of interest, find the latent heat at the point ##P_0+p##, ##T_0+t##.

2. Relevant equations
    ##l=T_{\text{transition}}(s_{\text{liq.}}-s_{\text{sol.}})##. (1)
    ##c_p=\left ( \frac{\partial s}{\partial T} \right ) _P##
    ##\alpha = \frac{1}{v} \left ( \frac{\partial v}{\partial T} \right ) _P##
    ##\kappa _T =-\frac{1}{v} \left ( \frac{\partial v}{\partial P} \right )##
    3. The attempt at a solution
    So I want to use equation (1). My idea is to expression the entropies of the liquid and solid phase as functions of alpha, kappa, etc.
    So I've thought of s as a function of P and T to start with. I then took the total differential of s to reach ##ds=-\alpha v dP+c_p dT##. I've tried to make appear ##\kappa _T## without any success.
    That's basically where I've been stuck for the last days, almost a week now. My friend told me to make a Taylor's expansion for the latent heat, so I've written down ##l(T) \approx l(T_0)+ l'(T_0)(T-T_0)## though I don't think that's correct since the latent heat depends on both the temperature and entropy; not the temperature alone.
    So I'm looking for getting the ##\Delta s##. I've ran out of ideas, any tip is welcome.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2013 #2
    Check out the derivation of the Clapeyron equation for vapor-liquid equilibrium. The derivation for going from solid to liquid should parallel this.

4. Jun 11, 2013 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

I've solved the problem via a Taylor's expansion, the derivation up to the solution is rather lengthy in latex. This differs quite a lot from the 2 derivations given in wikipedia of the Clausius-Clapeyron's relation.
    So I'll write final answer that I got:
    [tex]l(T_0+t)\approx l_0 + \frac{tl_0}{T_0}+t(c_P^{\text{liq}}-c_P^{\text{sol.}})-T_0p(\alpha ^{\text{liq.}}v ^{\text{liq.}}-\alpha ^{\text{sol.}}v ^{\text{sol.}})[/tex]
    . I've found no dependence on ##\kappa _T##.

5. Jun 11, 2013 #4
    You're right. The Clapeyron equation is not the way to go. I've solved this problem starting with general equation for the differential change in enthalpy [itex]dH=C_pdT+V(1-Tα)dP[/itex] in conjunction with the Clapeyron equation, and have confirmed your result. Very nice job.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted