How to Calculate Latent Heat at a New Point on the Coexistence Curve?

In summary, the problem is to find the latent heat at a point on the coexistence curve that is near the point of interest, using the equations for latent heat, specific heat, thermal expansion, and compressibility. The solution involves using a Taylor's expansion and the Clapeyron equation to derive the final answer.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I'm stuck in the following problem: In a particular solid-liquid phase transition the point ##T_0##, ##P_0## lies on the coexistence curve. The latent heat of vaporization at this point is ##l_0##. A nearby point on the existence curve has pressure ##P_0+p## and temperature ##T_0+t##; the local slope of the coexistence curve in the P-T plane is p/t. Assuming ##v##, ##c_p##, ##\alpha## and ##\kappa _T## to be known in each phase in the vicinty of the states of interest, find the latent heat at the point ##P_0+p##, ##T_0+t##.

Homework Equations

##l=T_{\text{transition}}(s_{\text{liq.}}-s_{\text{sol.}})##. (1)
##c_p=\left ( \frac{\partial s}{\partial T} \right ) _P##
##\alpha = \frac{1}{v} \left ( \frac{\partial v}{\partial T} \right ) _P##
##\kappa _T =-\frac{1}{v} \left ( \frac{\partial v}{\partial P} \right )##

The Attempt at a Solution

So I want to use equation (1). My idea is to expression the entropies of the liquid and solid phase as functions of alpha, kappa, etc.
So I've thought of s as a function of P and T to start with. I then took the total differential of s to reach ##ds=-\alpha v dP+c_p dT##. I've tried to make appear ##\kappa _T## without any success.
That's basically where I've been stuck for the last days, almost a week now. My friend told me to make a Taylor's expansion for the latent heat, so I've written down ##l(T) \approx l(T_0)+ l'(T_0)(T-T_0)## though I don't think that's correct since the latent heat depends on both the temperature and entropy; not the temperature alone.
So I'm looking for getting the ##\Delta s##. I've ran out of ideas, any tip is welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check out the derivation of the Clapeyron equation for vapor-liquid equilibrium. The derivation for going from solid to liquid should parallel this.

I've solved the problem via a Taylor's expansion, the derivation up to the solution is rather lengthy in latex. This differs quite a lot from the 2 derivations given in wikipedia of the Clausius-Clapeyron's relation.
So I'll write final answer that I got:
[tex]l(T_0+t)\approx l_0 + \frac{tl_0}{T_0}+t(c_P^{\text{liq}}-c_P^{\text{sol.}})-T_0p(\alpha ^{\text{liq.}}v ^{\text{liq.}}-\alpha ^{\text{sol.}}v ^{\text{sol.}})[/tex]
. I've found no dependence on ##\kappa _T##.

fluidistic said:
I've solved the problem via a Taylor's expansion, the derivation up to the solution is rather lengthy in latex. This differs quite a lot from the 2 derivations given in wikipedia of the Clausius-Clapeyron's relation.
So I'll write final answer that I got:
[tex]l(T_0+t)\approx l_0 + \frac{tl_0}{T_0}+t(c_P^{\text{liq}}-c_P^{\text{sol.}})-T_0p(\alpha ^{\text{liq.}}v ^{\text{liq.}}-\alpha ^{\text{sol.}}v ^{\text{sol.}})[/tex]
. I've found no dependence on ##\kappa _T##.

You're right. The Clapeyron equation is not the way to go. I've solved this problem starting with general equation for the differential change in enthalpy [itex]dH=C_pdT+V(1-Tα)dP[/itex] in conjunction with the Clapeyron equation, and have confirmed your result. Very nice job.

Likes 1 person

I can suggest the following approach to solve this problem:

1. Start by understanding the given information and variables: We know that at the point ##T_0##, ##P_0## lies on the coexistence curve and the latent heat of vaporization is ##l_0##. We also know the values of pressure and temperature at a nearby point on the coexistence curve, ##P_0+p## and ##T_0+t## respectively. Additionally, we have the values of ##v##, ##c_p##, ##\alpha## and ##\kappa _T## for each phase in the vicinity of the states of interest.

2. Use the given equations to express the entropies of the liquid and solid phases as functions of pressure and temperature: From the given equations, we can express the entropies of the liquid and solid phases as: ##s_{liq.}=s_{liq.}(P,T)## and ##s_{sol.}=s_{sol.}(P,T)##. We can then take the difference between these two entropies to get ##\Delta s##, which is the change in entropy during the phase transition.

3. Use the given values to calculate the local slope of the coexistence curve: We are given the values of pressure and temperature at a nearby point on the coexistence curve, ##P_0+p## and ##T_0+t## respectively. We can use these values to calculate the slope of the coexistence curve in the P-T plane, which is given by ##p/t##.

4. Use the calculated values to find the latent heat at the point ##P_0+p##, ##T_0+t##: Now, we have all the necessary information to calculate the latent heat at the point ##P_0+p##, ##T_0+t##. Using equation (1), we can express the latent heat as: ##l(T_0+t)=T_{\text{transition}}\Delta s##. We already have the value of ##\Delta s## from step 2, and we can calculate ##T_{\text{transition}}## using the local slope of the coexistence curve from step 3.

5. Check your answer: Finally, it is always a good practice to check your answer and make sure it is reasonable and makes sense. You can do this by comparing your calculated value of latent

1. What is latent heat?

Latent heat is the amount of energy required to change the state of a substance from one phase to another, without changing its temperature. It is also known as the heat of transformation or heat of fusion/vaporization.

2. How is latent heat calculated?

Latent heat is calculated using the formula Q = mL, where Q is the amount of heat energy, m is the mass of the substance, and L is the specific latent heat of the substance. The specific latent heat is a constant value determined by the type of substance and the phase change that is occurring.

3. What units are used for latent heat?

The units for latent heat are joules (J) or calories (cal). Sometimes, the unit of kilojoules (kJ) is also used.

4. What factors affect the latent heat of a substance?

The latent heat of a substance is affected by the type of substance, the amount of the substance, and the type of phase change that is occurring. For example, the latent heat of vaporization for water is different than the latent heat of fusion for water ice.

5. How is latent heat used in real life applications?

Latent heat has many practical applications, such as in refrigeration and air conditioning systems, where the latent heat of vaporization is used to cool and dehumidify the air. It is also used in cooking, where the latent heat of fusion is utilized to turn water into steam for cooking food. Additionally, latent heat is important in understanding and predicting weather patterns, as the release or absorption of latent heat during phase changes can affect the temperature and humidity of the air.