1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the limit help

1. Mar 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the limit of
    [tex]
    \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{\sqrt{x^{2}+5} - x}{\sqrt{x^{2}+2} - x}
    [/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    -

3. The attempt at a solution
    Neither multiplying with the conjugate nor trying to break out x helps me, as I'm left with "0/0" in those cases.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

Re: $\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{\sqrt{x^{2}+5} - x}{\sqrt{x^{2}+2} - x}$

do you know l'hopitals rule? could help here i think

4. Mar 10, 2009 #3

While I do know l'Hopitals rule, we have not yet covered it in the course. The problem should be solved without using (sadly).

5. Mar 10, 2009 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

how about this, multiply by both conjugates of the numerator & denominator to get:

[tex]
    \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{5 \sqrt{x^{2}+2} + x}{2 \sqrt{x^{2}+5} +x}
    [/tex]

already looking in better shape, as its not a difference term that is leading to the zero, which ws the tricky bit, so from here I'd try multiplying through by:

[tex]
    \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{\frac{1}{x}}{\frac{1}{x}}
    [/tex]

this should change the terms containing x in the numerator & denominator from tending to infinity, to ones tending to zero...

6. Mar 10, 2009 #5

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{5\sqrt{x^{2}+2} + x}{2\sqrt{x^{2}+5} +x} = \lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} = \frac{5}{2}\frac{x(\sqrt{1+\frac{2}{x}})+1}{x(\sqrt{1+\frac{5}{x}})+1} = \frac{5}{2}\cdot\frac{2}{2} = \frac{5}{2}

[/tex]

Cheers!

7. Feb 9, 2012 #6

There were some significant errors in this (highlighted in the

quote box) post from a user, that I felt one of the corrected

versions should be shown.

8. Feb 9, 2012 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Re: [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{\sqrt{x^{2}+5} - x}{\sqrt{x^{2}+2} - x}[/it

This thread is 2 years old. You've been here long enough to know not to necropost.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook