Limit Calculator for \sqrt{x^{2}+5} and \sqrt{x^{2}+2} with x\rightarrow \infty

• Thread starter walker242
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the limit of a given equation without using l'Hopital's rule. Several methods are suggested, including multiplying by conjugates and using the fact that the terms containing x in the numerator and denominator tend to zero. Eventually, the limit is simplified to 5/2.
walker242

Homework Statement

Calculate the limit of
[tex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{\sqrt{x^{2}+5} - x}{\sqrt{x^{2}+2} - x}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

Neither multiplying with the conjugate nor trying to break out x helps me, as I'm left with "0/0" in those cases.

Physics news on Phys.org

do you know l'hopitals rule? could help here i think

While I do know l'Hopitals rule, we have not yet covered it in the course. The problem should be solved without using (sadly).

walker242 said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the limit of
[tex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{\sqrt{x^{2}+5} - x}{\sqrt{x^{2}+2} - x}
[/tex]

how about this, multiply by both conjugates of the numerator & denominator to get:

[tex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{5 \sqrt{x^{2}+2} + x}{2 \sqrt{x^{2}+5} +x}
[/tex]

already looking in better shape, as its not a difference term that is leading to the zero, which ws the tricky bit, so from here I'd try multiplying through by:

[tex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{\frac{1}{x}}{\frac{1}{x}}
[/tex]

this should change the terms containing x in the numerator & denominator from tending to infinity, to ones tending to zero...

lanedance said:
how about this, multiply by both conjugates of the numerator & denominator to get:

[tex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{5 \sqrt{x^{2}+2} + x}{2 \sqrt{x^{2}+5} +x}
[/tex]

already looking in better shape, as its not a difference term that is leading to the zero, which ws the tricky bit, so from here I'd try multiplying through by:

[tex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{\frac{1}{x}}{\frac{1}{x}}
[/tex]

this should change the terms containing x in the numerator & denominator from tending to infinity, to ones tending to zero...

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{5\sqrt{x^{2}+2} + x}{2\sqrt{x^{2}+5} +x} = \lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} = \frac{5}{2}\frac{x(\sqrt{1+\frac{2}{x}})+1}{x(\sqrt{1+\frac{5}{x}})+1} = \frac{5}{2}\cdot\frac{2}{2} = \frac{5}{2}

[/tex]

Cheers!

walker242 said:
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{5\sqrt{x^{2}+2} + x}{2\sqrt{x^{2}+5} +x} = [/tex]

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}\frac{5}{2}\cdot \lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}\frac{x\bigg( \sqrt{1+ \frac{2}{x^2}} + 1\bigg)}{x\bigg(\sqrt{1 + \frac{5}{x^2}}+1\bigg)} = [/tex]

[tex] \frac{5}{2}\cdot\frac{2}{2} = \frac{5}{2}[/tex]

There were some significant errors in this (highlighted in the

quote box) post from a user, that I felt one of the corrected

versions should be shown.

This thread is 2 years old. You've been here long enough to know not to necropost.

1. What is a limit?

A limit is the value that a function approaches as its input (x-value) gets closer and closer to a specific point. It is denoted by the notation lim f(x) or limx→a f(x).

2. Why do we need to calculate limits?

Calculating limits helps us understand the behavior of a function and its graph near a specific point. It also allows us to determine important properties of a function, such as continuity and differentiability.

3. How do you calculate a limit algebraically?

To calculate a limit algebraically, you need to simplify the function as much as possible by using algebraic techniques such as factoring, rationalizing, and canceling common factors. You then substitute the given value of the independent variable into the simplified function and solve for the limit.

4. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function at a specific point from one direction, either from the left or the right. A two-sided limit takes into account the behavior of a function from both directions, approaching the point from the left and the right.

5. When is a limit undefined?

A limit is undefined when the function's behavior at the specific point is undefined, such as when there is a vertical asymptote or a discontinuity at that point. In these cases, the limit does not exist.