Calculating Magnetic Force with Vectors

In summary, the conversation involved calculations related to force and velocity. The force of -0.12 j - 0.16 k was determined based on the given values, and the magnitude of the force was calculated to be 0.2. The accuracy of the calculation was questioned due to the difference between 80 km/s and 8000 m/s. The use of LaTeX was suggested as a way to display mathematical equations in a clear and organized manner.
fight_club_alum
Homework Statement
What is the magnitude of the magnetic force on a charged particle (Q = 5.0 μC) moving
with a speed of 80 km/s in the positive x direction at a point where Bx = 5.0 T, By = –4.0 T,
and Bz = 3.0 T?
a . 2.8 N
b. 1.6 N
c. 1.2 N
d. 2.0 N <- answer
e. 0.4 N
Relevant Equations
F = Q V X B
5-43
F = (5 x 10^-6) * up (sorry can't write a materix here)
F = (5 x10^-6) {0i - 24000 j - 32000 k)
F = -0.12 j - 0.16 k
Mag of F = 0.2 (I feel that there is something wrong in the question; I don't know)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
80 km/s is not equal to 8000 m/s. Otherwise, your work looks good to me.

Likes fight_club_alum
fight_club_alum said:
(sorry can't write a materix here)
Actually you can if you use LaTeX syntax:
$$
\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 \\
a & b & c & d \\
x & y & z & w
\end{bmatrix}
$$
See the LaTeX tutorial page: just follow the LaTeX Guide link you'll find underneath the reply box.

Likes fight_club_alum
Here's an example of using LaTeX to show a vector cross product:
$$\begin{bmatrix}
v_i \\
v_j \\
v_k
\end{bmatrix} \times
\begin{bmatrix}
B_i \\
B_j \\
B_k
\end{bmatrix} =
\begin{bmatrix}
B_k \cdot v_j - B_j \cdot v_k \\
B_j \cdot v_k - B_k \cdot v_i \\
B_j \cdot v_i - B_i \cdot v_j
\end{bmatrix}
$$

Likes fight_club_alum

1. What is the formula for calculating magnetic force?

The formula for calculating magnetic force is F = qvBsinθ, where F is the magnetic force, q is the charge of the particle, v is the velocity of the particle, B is the magnetic field strength, and θ is the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field.

2. How do you calculate the direction of the magnetic force?

The direction of the magnetic force can be calculated using the right-hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the velocity, your index finger in the direction of the magnetic field, and your middle finger will point in the direction of the magnetic force.

3. What are the SI units for magnetic force?

The SI units for magnetic force are Newtons (N). This is the same unit used for other types of forces such as gravity and friction.

4. Can magnetic force be negative?

Yes, magnetic force can be negative. This indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the chosen coordinate system. It is important to pay attention to the signs in the formula and make sure they are consistent with the chosen coordinate system.

5. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the magnetic force?

The strength of the magnetic field has a direct effect on the magnitude of the magnetic force. The stronger the magnetic field, the greater the force on a charged particle. This relationship is represented in the formula as B, the magnetic field strength, is directly proportional to the magnetic force.