Calculate the mass of a star and a planet that orbits it

In summary, a planet is orbiting a star at an average distance of 10^9 km and the gravitational constant is 6.67x10^-11 Nm^2kg^2. The equation used to calculate the mass of the star is T^2=4π^2r^3/GM. The mass of the star can be calculated if the radius of the planet is known and the time it takes for the planet to orbit the star is known.
shk
Member advised to use the formatting template for all homework help requests
I have problem with an A2 physics question:

A planet is orbiting a star at an average distance of 10^9 km. The period of its orbit is 500 Earth days. The gravitational constant is 6.67x10^-11 Nm^2kg^2.
a) Calculation the mass of the star.
b)Explain why you cannot determine the mass of the planet from this information.answer:
I think I should use this equation:
T^2=4π^2r^3/GM
not sure how should I calculate T from 500!
r is 10^9km I suppose!

for part b I'm not sure what should I say.
I appreciate any help with this question. Many thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
shk said:
I have problem with an A2 physics question:

A planet is orbiting a star at an average distance of 10^9 km. The period of its orbit is 500 Earth days. The gravitational constant is 6.67x10^-11.
Kind of a poorly posed question. The average distance can vary greatly compared to the semi-major axis depending upon the eccentricity of the orbit. I presume you'll have to assume a circular orbit (very low eccentricity). The gravitational constant should come with units. What are they?
I think I should use this equation:
T^2=4π^2r^3/GM
Looks reasonable.
not sure how should I calculate T from 500!
What are the units used in your value of G? You need to use consistent units in all your values and variables.
r is 10^9km I suppose!
Suppose so. But be sure to match the "length" unit used in your gravitational constant definition.
for part b I'm not sure what should I say.
You'll have to ponder what assumptions were made in the derivation of the period formula you've used.

Many thanks. I have just added the units of G.

Homework Statement

A planet is orbiting a star at an average distance of 10^9 km. The period of its orbit is 500 Earth days. The gravitational constant is 6.67x10^-11 Nm^2kg^2.
a) Calculation the mass of the star.
b)Explain why you cannot determine the mass of the planet from this information.

Homework Equations

T^2=4π^2r^3/GM
1 Earth day is 24 hours which is 24x3600 s
T= 500x24x3600 s

The Attempt at a Solution

for part a)
I think I should rearrange it for M which I know how to do it.
1 Earth day is 24 hours which is 24x3600 s
T= 500x24x3600 s
is T correct?
and r=10^9x1000 m#
for part b)
this part has 3 marks and I think part of the answer is :
because this formula is independent from the mass of the planet. I am not sure if this is correct .Plus I don't know what else to say

shk said:
I think part of the answer is :
because this formula is independent from the mass of the planet. I am not sure if this is correct .
Hi shk:

You are correct. However, I would phrase it a bit differently.
The variables T, r, and M are independent of the planet mass.

Regards,
Buzz

thanks. But would that be enough to get the 3 marks for part b?

shk said:
But would that be enough to get the 3 marks for part b?
Hi shk:

If I were you teacher it would be, but it is impossible for me to predict exactly what your teacher wants. You might want to take another look at my previous post since I added to it after you replied to it.

Regards,
Buzz

Thanks Buzz
I read your edited reply. It helped.
Thanks a lot

Maybe I'm joining the discussion a bit late here, but perhaps I can offer some help.
The equation you need is:
mass = (4 * PI² * r³) / (G * t²)
where mass ('m') is in kilograms, radius ('r') is in meters) time ('t') is in seconds and G = 6.674 * 10^-11 m³/kg*s²
time ('t') should be in seconds so 500 days * 24hours*60minutes*60seconds = 43,200,000 seconds
radius ('r') should be in meters 10^9 km = 10^12 meters and you will have to calculate:
mass = (39.4784 * (10^12 meters)³ / (6.674 * 10^-11 m³/kg*s² * (43,200,000 seconds)²
The mass will be in kilograms
I hope this helps

Likes shk
wolf1728 said:
Maybe I'm joining the discussion a bit late here, but perhaps I can offer some help.
The equation you need is:
mass = (4 * PI² * r³) / (G * t²)
where mass ('m') is in kilograms, radius ('r') is in meters) time ('t') is in seconds and G = 6.674 * 10^-11 m³/kg*s²
time ('t') should be in seconds so 500 days * 24hours*60minutes*60seconds = 43,200,000 seconds
radius ('r') should be in meters 10^9 km = 10^12 meters and you will have to calculate:
mass = (39.4784 * (10^12 meters)³ / (6.674 * 10^-11 m³/kg*s² * (43,200,000 seconds)²
The mass will be in kilograms
I hope this helps

Dear Wolf1728
It wasn't still late and it did help .
Many thanks

Just out of curiosity I calculated the mass as 3.1696 x 10^32 kilograms.
I trust you calculated the same thing?
Anyway, I was glad to help out.

Likes shk
wolf1728 said:
Just out of curiosity I calculated the mass as 3.1696 x 10^32 kilograms.
I trust you calculated the same thing?
Anyway, I was glad to help out.
yes I have got the same value . Many thanks. I was worried that my answer was wrong but now with your help I'm confident that it's correct. Thanks for the great help

Glad to help! That's why we're here.

1. How do you calculate the mass of a star?

The mass of a star can be calculated using the formula M = (4π2R3)/GT2, where M is the mass of the star, R is the distance between the star and the planet, G is the gravitational constant, and T is the orbital period of the planet around the star.

2. What is the unit of measurement for the mass of a star?

The mass of a star is typically measured in solar masses, where 1 solar mass is equivalent to the mass of our Sun, which is approximately 2 x 1030 kilograms.

3. How do you calculate the mass of a planet orbiting a star?

The mass of a planet can be calculated using the formula M = R3/GT2, where M is the mass of the planet, R is the distance between the planet and the star, G is the gravitational constant, and T is the orbital period of the planet around the star. This formula assumes that the mass of the planet is much smaller than the mass of the star.

4. What factors affect the accuracy of calculating the mass of a star and planet?

The accuracy of calculating the mass of a star and planet can be affected by several factors, such as the accuracy of the distance and orbital period measurements, the assumption of a circular orbit, and the assumption of a negligible mass for the planet compared to the star. Additionally, the presence of other objects in the system and the effects of relativity can also affect the accuracy of the calculations.

5. Can the mass of a star and planet change over time?

Yes, the mass of a star and planet can change over time due to various factors such as mass loss through stellar winds, accretion of material from the surrounding environment, and interactions with other objects in the system. However, these changes are usually relatively small and can be difficult to measure accurately.