Calculate the mass of a trolley

• Thread starter jamesd2008
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the problem is to calculate the mass of a trolley that is being moved by a weight attached to a string over a pulley. The weight has a mass of 10 grams, the pulley has a mass of 34 grams and a diameter of 49mm, and the distance above ground is 1.4m with a time of 3.4 seconds. To solve this, you need to use the conservation of energy and the equation KE = m*v^2/2 to calculate the mass of the trolley.
jamesd2008
Hi every body hope you can help. I have been set a problem to solve the mass of a trolley. The trolley is sat on an air track, attached is a string which is lead over a pulley and has a mass attached at the end hanging over the edge. The mass at the end has 1.4 meters to fall and does it in 3.4 sec, hence moving the trolley along the air track.

Mass of the weight is 10 grams
Mass of the pulley is 34 grams and has a diameter of 49mm
Distance above ground is 1.4m and the time taken is 3.4secs

I know this is an energy problem i.e P.E goes to K.E and i think the Inertia (I) of the pulley is I=mr^2. Were m is the mass of the pulley and r is the radius of the pulley.

At the start I've got the potential energy of the weight but after that I'm stuck and can't figure out how to calculate the mass of the trolley. Hope someone can help every time i do it the mass of the trolley ends up at like 2700grams which i know is wrong.

Thanks in advance James

Engineering news on Phys.org
To solve this problem, you need to consider the conservation of energy. Since the gravitational potential energy of the weight decreases as it falls, that energy must be converted into another form (kinetic energy). The kinetic energy of the trolley is equal to the gravitational potential energy of the weight. Thus, the mass of the trolley can be calculated using the equation:KE = m*v^2/2where m is the mass of the trolley, and v is the velocity of the trolley after the weight has dropped. You know the distance and the time, so you can calculate the velocity of the trolley. Then, you can solve for the mass. Hope this helps!

1. How do you calculate the mass of a trolley?

To calculate the mass of a trolley, you will need to use the equation: mass = force / acceleration. First, measure the force applied to the trolley and the acceleration it experiences. Then, plug those values into the equation to find the mass of the trolley.

2. What units are used to measure the mass of a trolley?

The mass of a trolley is typically measured in kilograms (kg). However, it can also be measured in grams (g) or metric tons (t).

3. How do you measure the force and acceleration of a trolley?

The force applied to a trolley can be measured using a force sensor or a spring scale. The acceleration of the trolley can be measured using a motion sensor or by calculating the change in velocity over time.

4. Can the mass of a trolley change?

The mass of a trolley can change if its contents are altered. For example, if objects are added or removed from the trolley, its mass will change. However, the mass of the trolley itself will remain constant unless it is physically altered or damaged.

5. Why is it important to calculate the mass of a trolley?

Knowing the mass of a trolley is important for various reasons. It can help determine the amount of force needed to move or stop the trolley, as well as the amount of energy it possesses. It is also essential for safety reasons, as an overloaded trolley can be dangerous to handle.