Calculate the mass of ice cube

In summary, the goal is to determine the mass of an ice cube by putting it in a calorimeter, using the initial mass of warm water and the final temperature. There are two phases of transformation involved: from ice to cold liquid, and warm liquid to cold liquid. The equation Q = m * Heat of Fusion of ice is used to calculate the heat lost by the warm water.
999iscool

Homework Statement

So we are given an ice cube of unknown mass, and the goal is to determine the mass after putting it in the calorimeter.

We know the initial mass of the warm water. Is this the only way to solve the ice mass?
I looked it up and the purple font is my values. Please the image below.

http://i.imgur.com/NchJ5.png

Please tell me?

My friend said all I had to do is use Q = m * Heat of Fusion of ice where Q is the heat lost by warm water. I disagree with him because the there is actually two states of transformations: from ice to cold liquid, and warm liquid <---> cold liquid. So there must be two states of phases changing.

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
And you are right, you are given final temperature for a reason.

1. How do you calculate the mass of an ice cube?

The mass of an ice cube can be calculated using the formula mass = density x volume. First, you will need to measure the density of ice, which is approximately 0.9167 grams per cubic centimeter. Then, measure the volume of the ice cube by multiplying the length, width, and height of the cube. Finally, plug in the values into the formula to calculate the mass of the ice cube.

2. What is the density of an ice cube?

The density of an ice cube can vary slightly depending on the temperature and impurities present in the ice. However, on average, the density of an ice cube is approximately 0.9167 grams per cubic centimeter.

3. How do you measure the volume of an ice cube?

The volume of an ice cube can be measured by multiplying the length, width, and height of the cube. If the ice cube is irregularly shaped, you can use the water displacement method. Fill a graduated cylinder with water and record the initial volume. Then, carefully place the ice cube into the cylinder, making sure not to spill any water. Record the final volume and subtract the initial volume from the final volume to get the volume of the ice cube.

4. Can you use the same formula to calculate the mass of any ice cube?

Yes, the formula mass = density x volume can be used to calculate the mass of any ice cube, as long as you have the correct density and volume measurements.

5. What are the units for mass and volume when calculating the mass of an ice cube?

The units for mass are typically grams or kilograms, and the units for volume are typically cubic centimeters or cubic meters when calculating the mass of an ice cube. However, you can use any unit of measurement as long as they are consistent throughout the calculation.