Calculate the mass of sand added to the bucket

• Thread starter WebassignHelp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving a block connected to a bucket via a pulley and determining the mass of sand needed to move the system and the acceleration of the system. The coefficient of static friction and kinetic friction are also given. The conversation includes a hint to help solve the problem.
WebassignHelp
Please Help!

I cannot figure out this problem. Please help out there. Thank you! I don't know where to start.

A 25.5 kg block is connected to an empty 1.00 kg bucket by a cord running over a frictionless pulley (Fig. 4-57). The coefficient of static friction between the table and the block is 0.450 and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the table and the block is 0.320. Sand is gradually added to the bucket until the system just begins to move.

(a) Calculate the mass of sand added to the bucket.
?kg

(b) Calculate the acceleration of the system.
?m/s2 (downward)

Attachments

• 4_57alt.gif
    4_57alt.gif
    9.1 KB · Views: 631
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forums. Please note that you must show some work before we can help you. Have you not studied any of this material in class, or have any relevant class notes on the topic from which you can begin?

I have, but the mass of the bucket would normally be given to me and I cannot figure out how to solve for the mass that needs to be applied in order for it to move. Taking the 1.00kg of the bucket into consideration, of course. Once I have the mass I can then solve for acceleration.

Can you calculate the static frictional acting on the block? Can you calculate the force of the string on the block? What can you say about when the block begins to move?

The fiction force should be maxed out when the bucket begins to lower.

here's your hint:

As of this scenario, the system remains static as long as the forces on the block(due to friction)...and on the bucket+sand(gravity), balance each other!

let's say 'x' is the maximum mass of sand for which the system remains stationary...then equating the forces

force on block(use the static coefficient)=force on bucket+sand

Also,
force on bucket+sand=(1+x)*g

Last edited:
That's not a hint, Physwiz, that's a recipe for the solution! If the OP had answered my questions, he would have been able to obtain something like that.

It's still not the answer.

1. How do I calculate the mass of sand added to the bucket?

To calculate the mass of sand added to the bucket, you will need to know the volume of the bucket and the density of the sand. Multiply the volume by the density to get the mass of sand added.

2. What is the formula for calculating mass?

The formula for calculating mass is mass = density x volume. This formula can be used to calculate the mass of any object, including the sand added to the bucket.

3. How do I measure the volume of the bucket?

To measure the volume of the bucket, you can fill it with water and then measure the amount of water that is displaced. This will give you the volume of the bucket in units of volume, such as liters or cubic inches.

4. What is the density of sand?

The density of sand can vary depending on the type of sand and its moisture content. On average, the density of dry sand is around 1.6 grams per cubic centimeter.

5. Can I use a different unit of measurement for the mass and volume?

Yes, you can use any unit of measurement for the mass and volume as long as they are consistent. For example, you could use pounds for mass and gallons for volume, as long as you convert them to the same units before calculating the mass.